Chineeee digital Speedo project

14 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the story of "Hey! I have an idea! I am tired of this useless KPH speedo that does nothing for me...

So, let me hit up Amazon and get me a new Speedometer... Sounds good right!? 

Well friends, let me tell you, I spent about 20 hours on this thing. Got every single thing working except for the tachometer (I think I broke it by plugging it in the place they recommended - the coil +) 

So, you want to see the results?! Well, lets start with what was there before! 

IMG_6582.thumb.jpg.0639e0cd2328f15b6e163IMG_6594.thumb.jpg.95fb3d5a00bc9c12b6451

Well, that was nice... if you live in Europe or Asia I suppose..... Well, here in the US... We do things the wrong way so...

IMG_6603.thumb.jpg.219c74379318d7ad46b3cIMG_6609.thumb.jpg.2f7016186cc5f5b84d2e2

Doesn't look so bad right!? (Note the volt meter hide-a-way location. I made the glove box only open 2 inches, spring loaded so I can close it and lock it up when its raining. I accidentally bought a non-waterproof one so.. had to get clever... I got the idea from Daniel's V4 head video when he said that it was a must for all scooters... so... I must!)

So, lets dig in and show you what it took!

2B58E1E6-0B25-42F1-8AEB-660FB6C6AB2A.thu

Fabrication! I had to hack up the original speedometer and make a bracket to hold it in place!

61699D55-86EB-4ABD-868E-1F151C69294D.thu

IMG_6585.thumb.PNG.5e9f31ad40b142c9e620f

Yes, I also added 150db airhorn and a 72W LED light because near ATL, they will SEE me... or if not... they will sure as hell HEAR me!!!

Tell me what you think!

2 people like this

Posted

Awesome mods!:clap: Gotta love cramming air horns where they're not meant!

Is the tach fixed?

Posted

Tach is NOT fixed. I am still not sure what I am going to do about it but, since I need it for commuting, I had to stick it all back together... I'll look into it next weekend I hope. 

Posted

Welcome aboard,  great write up, hope you get the tach working, my Yami smax is in kph and I spend 5 months every winter in Arizona, same thing, pain in the ass trying to calculate kph to mph , I just guess and keep going, may have to hook up my GPS as I can do both on it.

1 person likes this

Posted

thats some fine work fitting that tach in there, looks really good. Hopefully you can get the issue sorted soon. You have the link for the tach? dont think I've seen one like that before. Keep up the great work

Posted

thats some fine work fitting that tach in there, looks really good. Hopefully you can get the issue sorted soon. You have the link for the tach? dont think I've seen one like that before. Keep up the great work

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J77O0OS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

This speedo is everywhere... youtube has a million videos about it... most of them show that it stinks.. Its alot of work! I still dont have it setup right but I think there is something wrong with it so, awaiting seller to help replace it. 

Once I get the speedometer set correctly, and the tachometer working right, I will be using black RTV to make it water tight again from the rear... I just know that it will get moisture in there and condensate. But have incandesent bulbs so.. that should help too... We will see.. This will probably take a month or two to resolve. 

Posted

Thanks a lot for the link, keep us updated as you go along, would be great if you can get everything working. I would sure love to replace my cluster with a simple cost effective solution.

Posted (edited)

I found this video off of an Amazon review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1Dc8Mwusk

I think the output of the CDI would fry the tach being it's around 400V. I was planning to use the trigger coil output (< 5V) when I buy one.

Edited by TheDullCarbide

Posted

I found this video off of an Amazon review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC1Dc8Mwusk

I think the output of the CDI would fry the tach being it's around 400V. I was planning to use the trigger coil output (< 5V) when I buy one.

Yes, I saw this and knew about it before it even came in the mail. I used the pulse + (before the coil) and it showed erratic signal and then just stopped working so.. I dont know.. its cheap crap.. I guess I'll see what they say! 

Posted

Yes, I saw this and knew about it before it even came in the mail. I used the pulse + (before the coil) and it showed erratic signal and then just stopped working so.. I dont know.. its cheap crap.. I guess I'll see what they say! 

Pulse + before the coil? What wire is that?

Posted

I know many tachs use the negative signal from the coil, not the +. 

Posted

I know many tachs use the negative signal from the coil, not the +. 

I am going to try and grab the pulse right from the stator as one of the YouTube videos suggested. The company is shipping me a brand new one and I get to keep the old one! so, I have a failsafe... If it blows up, I am no further away from where I am now. I have a second battery so... I will wire up the new one off the bike and just probe the stator wire to see. If I can get that to work, I will try the one installed again to see if I can get it working without having to rip apart my entire bike again! 

Posted

I am going to try and grab the pulse right from the stator as one of the YouTube videos suggested. The company is shipping me a brand new one and I get to keep the old one! so, I have a failsafe... If it blows up, I am no further away from where I am now. I have a second battery so... I will wire up the new one off the bike and just probe the stator wire to see. If I can get that to work, I will try the one installed again to see if I can get it working without having to rip apart my entire bike again! 

I think you'll want the blue/yellow or blue/white wire coming off the coil outside the flywheel. The black/red wire coming from inside the flywheel is the 400V one.

Posted

I suggest checking the voltage with a meter at the back of the plug just to be sure the voltages seem acceptable, as the carbide said, we wouldn't want high voltage running through the circuits. cheap insurance, will just cost you your time, that is once you have a meter. Once I'm home tonight I'll try to check it for ya and let you know

1 person likes this