New battery came with no acid

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I just bought a new battery for my Demak 150 scooter today. It was off the shelf in a Philippine motorcycle shop.  It looks like a typical lead acid battery to me except the top is clear plastic and i  cant see any liquid in it.  The sales girl tried to tell me its a gel but i dont know because it only cost 1,000. Pesos or $20. USD. Instructions on the top said if its not starting well,  then add the proper liquid.  I dont know if i should fill it wiith acid or distilled water right away or just run it dry like it is and see what happens.  I might go to a battery shop and see what they say but as far as the bike shop said,  its ready to use. I never had a dry battery before,  what do you Guys think? 

Posted

Is it charged?, have you tried cranking the bike with it?. If it is gel it should work out of the box.

Posted

Yeh,  it had 12.5 volts in the store and i brought it home charged it for an hour with a solar charger and it went up to 14 volts while charging.  I put it in the scooter and it worked fine all day. 

Posted

If you pull the caps off is there any indication of any fluid?

even if ya have to tip it to the side

Posted

The top is totally clear so you can see inside.  Cant see any liquid in it even when you tip it.  It does have rubber caps all held down with a slide though,  so it can be filled. Its not really sealed. It says Japan on it but im pretty sure its Chinese. The last cheap battery i bought lasted 2-1/2 years so maybe it will be ok if i treat it right. The instructions are vague and in bad english though. 

Posted

Gel batteries work great,,,I’ve run them,,,luv them all except the price,,,,here in the states that is

Posted

It's probable a gel filled, you don't add any water or anything, just charge and run, my Harley had one and it lasted 11 years with a battery tender on it.

Posted

Heres a couple pics of my new "mystery battery"  It still has 12.86 volts after a couple of days so i guess ill assume its gel and not fill it with anything.  I pulled 2 of the caps of to show the fill holes. 

IMG_20180110_010029424.jpg

IMG_20180110_245939425.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Heres a couple pics of my new "mystery battery"  It still has 12.86 volts after a couple of days so i guess ill assume its gel and not fill it with anything.  I pulled 2 of the caps of to show the fill holes. 

Yep, that's a gel battery, I had that same brand on my Chinese dual sport.

Posted

Thanks for all the input guys.  It had me fooled because it said add liquid if it stops working,  for longer life.  I wont worry about it anymore until it stops working. 

Posted

It is a Gel and it is a pile of JUNK! I bought 2 of these on flea bay from "tmshelmet"

Both crapped out in 6 months

battery.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Damn Man.  Maybe I should fill it with acid now and it will last longer,  I had to go to 5 bike shops to finally find one the right size so I bought it.  Maybe its just a FLA with a dry charge posing as a gel,  is what I was thinking. I guess you get what you pay for sometimes. 

Posted

Mine lasted 1 and a half years on my dual sport, I sold that bike a month ago and it was still working fine, the bike was a daily commuter so it never sat idle for more than a couple of days, that might have something to do with it's duration.

Posted

Battery storage at the store is another issue that can affect the lifespan of a battery, I read somewhere that 3 months is the maximum recommended time for storage, I believe I read it on a new battery I bought for my Land Rover.

Posted

I found a little more info from retail sites.  Working life is 14 months and no need to ever add water,  so i guess ill just use it as is and hope it lasts over a year. 

Posted

Never put Acid into a battery unless it comes dry charged and the acid is included. Acid develops a "specific" gravity. Acid over Acid is a recipe for bad results. Use distilled water.

Posted

My gel filled battery lasted 12 years in my Harley, but I used a battery tender, if not it probable would have lasted about 3 years, on my quad the batter lasted 12 years , also on a battery tender, just add a pig tail from the battery and plug it in, works great