Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Koso HP Variator for the 150cc gy6

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Over the past 2 years it seems as if the Koso variators for the 150cc gy6 have become so faked that they are the only ones everyone has been receiving. These variators are complete junk . they come with nicks , gouges and they are very heavy. I ordered three of them in a 3 moth period and received three different casts . the weight was different , the thickness of the face was different , but the outcome was always the same . you could not get full climb no matter what. You could also not get the belt to drop fully in the variator. There is also a brand called DLH , and it seems to be the same cast as some of the Koso variators. They each are dirt cheap and perform the same. A couple of us did a variator write up on these junk things being thrown out there and we found that the  actual koso site at the time didn't even sale a variator for the 125-150cc gy6 engines. One of our members doing the study talked with koso and they told him that they done have any dealers in the US at the time .this told us a lot . even the Teflon coating inside the variator would wear off really quick. I had the debris clog the space between the boss and the variator to the point I had to ouond the boss out with a hammer!! Be careful !

Posted

This should be flagged so no one can miss it.  Koso still has a high reputation (for some reason) and many are getting duped into buying crap thinking they are paying for something good.

Posted

Koso still has a high reputation (for some reason) 

The reason KOSO is being copied by the Chinese is because KOSO makes some darn good stuff.

Anybody that has a concern, my suggestion is to buy from a reputable seller....  

Posted

The problem is that even reputable delears in the us are selling the same junk koso knockoffs . soposedly from the info koso gave us , there are no us dealers selling a true 125-150cc gy6 koso variator . 

Posted

I never specifically looked up the KOSO variator, I was just commenting that even though there maybe fake KOSO stuff out there, that should not be tied to actual KOSO branded products. 

KOSO makes top of the line, Quality Taiwan parts. 

================

I just looked into the KOSO variator... Your info appears to be accurate. The KOSO variator's / "drive pulleys" in the US appear to be knock offs. I mean, I suppose it's possible, that a US seller has imported them from a 3rd party and not KOSO direct, but I doubt it. As a store owner myself, that's just not a viable option. 

For my Yamaha SMAX, I'm installing a BBK and a DynoJet Fuel commander so I need a new TBI and injectors... Well, KOSO makes one, but it's not sold in the USA, so I have to import it from Japan or Taiwan (KOSO does not sell direct to end customers) ....

So, it's "possible" a US seller imported from a 3rd party, but does not seem profitable and highly unlikely. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I never specifically looked up the KOSO variator, I was just commenting that even though there maybe fake KOSO stuff out there, that should not be tied to actual KOSO branded products. 

KOSO makes top of the line, Quality Taiwan parts. 

================

I just looked into the KOSO variator... Your info appears to be accurate. The KOSO variator's / "drive pulleys" in the US appear to be knock offs. I mean, I suppose it's possible, that a US seller has imported them from a 3rd party and not KOSO direct, but I doubt it. As a store owner myself, that's just not a viable option. 

For my Yamaha SMAX, I'm installing a BBK and a DynoJet Fuel commander so I need a new TBI and injectors... Well, KOSO makes one, but it's not sold in the USA, so I have to import it from Japan or Taiwan (KOSO does not sell direct to end customers) ....

So, it's "possible" a US seller imported from a 3rd party, but does not seem profitable and highly unlikely. 

Yeah, Dan, about a year ago GEH and I and a few others were looking into variators and spent some time on Koso (GEH had tried several different KOSO's and was not impressed).  We actually contacted the company and they were clear that they do NOT have a sales activity in N America.  So, it's possibly some Chinese company is buying them from KOSO and selling them on EBay or thru distributors in the US, but the spotty quality and completely different designs, all supposedly "KOSO", made even that doubtful.

1 person likes this

Posted

Your 100% right , koso does make very good products. I ordered three koso variators about 2 years ago . one was ordered from john , and even his was a knock off. It had Knicks and scratches all over the variator face , the Teflon coating wore off in only a few miles , and I was forced to use 9 gram rollers " 10 grams were too heavy" . belt climb was terrible and the belt drop was also terrible . I'm not stating that the dealers were necessarily at fault , but at the same time I know you would never send out a variator that has gouges and scratches over the face.

Posted

Rcq did a great deal of digging and contacting companies to get the info on the koso variators . it was sort of a shock to hear the outcome , but at the same time , the products pretty much told the story from the start. The DLH, KOSO , and a couple other variators on eBay looked nearly identical to each other . even one of the koso variators I bought pretty much matched the DLH variator that rcq bought . if I'm not mistaken , it matched one of my Koso's in weight and form . I will note that the very first koso I bought about 4 years ago was very nice . it lasted awhile until a bearing issue caused the v-slides to break destroying the koso. After that it seems that the cast over the few years had changed considerably causing many issues . I had three different koso purchased over a few months and all three had different weight and differences in the cast itself. 

Posted (edited)

Rcq did a great deal of digging and contacting companies to get the info on the koso variators . it was sort of a shock to hear the outcome , but at the same time , the products pretty much told the story from the start. The DLH, KOSO , and a couple other variators on eBay looked nearly identical to each other . even one of the koso variators I bought pretty much matched the DLH variator that rcq bought . if I'm not mistaken , it matched one of my Koso's in weight and form . I will note that the very first koso I bought about 4 years ago was very nice . it lasted awhile until a bearing issue caused the v-slides to break destroying the koso. After that it seems that the cast over the few years had changed considerably causing many issues . I had three different koso purchased over a few months and all three had different weight and differences in the cast itself. 

That, George, is because not a one of those three expensive "KOSO variators" was a KOSO variator.  But you bought a nice brand name ...

But if you remember, we contacted KOSO corporate and let them know their name was being dragged through the mud by fake product of crappy quality sold under the name "KOSO" ... and they did not really seem to care!  THAT I didn't expect!

Edited by RCQ92130
1 person likes this