Dropped down the little truck's transmission, look what I found

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey gang, the Lil truck was making a grinding noise coming from the transmission, I dropped the transmission and checked the clutch, the pilot bearing turned into dust, what do you think?.

IMG_20180203_195706_571.jpg

IMG_20180203_195701_374.jpg

IMG_20180203_195656_077.jpg

IMG_20180203_195640_179.jpg

IMG_20180203_195605_527.jpg

IMG_20180203_195556_602.jpg

IMG_20180203_195548_563.jpg

IMG_20180203_195542_159.jpg

IMG_20180203_195536_769.jpg

IMG_20180203_195529_460.jpg

IMG_20180203_195523_253.jpg

IMG_20180203_195517_789.jpg

IMG_20180203_195510_363.jpg

IMG_20180203_170601_568.jpg

IMG_20180203_170306_235.jpg

IMG_20180203_170223_278.jpg

IMG_20180203_170140_962.jpg

IMG_20180203_155829_482.jpg

Posted

Yup need a new clutch Ricky..

Flywheel needs  faced/turned or whatever you call it.

Stay off that thing and it won't do that.

Fun dirty job..

:cheers:

Cheers

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Why did the pilot bearing fail?, is it due to a worn-out clutch?. My wife is learning to drive on the thing, I saw it coming, lol.

Edited by ricardoguitars

Posted

Make sure she isn't leaving her foot on the clutch pedal after she poos, bad habit,  that will burn clutches out snd heat them up pretty quick.

1 person likes this

Posted

What are your thoughts on those ceramic "stage somenumber" clutches being sold on eBay and Amazon"?, this truck is not something that would classify as High Performance, but I think ceramic will last longer than the organic thing the OEM clutches are made of, just like ceramic brake pads VS organic pads?.

Posted

I just used the regular clutch plate,  I get well over 100k miles out of them, my Dad was a trucker if he saw me riding the clutch, left foot sitting on it, he would give me a punch, make sure you get the pressure plate turned,trued up, so it won't chatter.

1 person likes this

Posted

Aahh, that'll buff right out.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My call is to change the whole shooting match,,,but in the interest of saving a few bux,,,resurface flywheel,,and sand  pressure plate and replace friction disc and throw out bearing,and pilot bearing and put a dab of high temp grease in it,,,probably why the bearing failed in the first place cause it was dry,,,,,and as long as you have it apart,,,engine rear main seal and front seal on trans,,depends on how many miles on the thing,,,and don't forget to buy or get a loner pilot tool so everything gets lined up correctly or it'll be a massive pain in the nuts trying to get that beast back in,,,oh and don't forget to clean the whole area really well especially the pilot bearing hole in the crank end

Edited by cyborg
1 person likes this

Posted

Hi just checkin in,,,you get the beast back together?,,,

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hi just checkin in,,,you get the beast back together?,,,

Hi Borg, not yet, still waiting for the high pressure clutch line to arrive, couldn't find it locally, I had to cut the old one to remove the gearbox because the "easy connector" was stuck and won't come off (darn you Ford's bean counters! ) , the clutch master cylinder looks tired so I will replace it as well. Also, got my balls snipped a few days ago, lol, doctor says to take it easy for a few days, no wrenching and no riding, next week I'll deal with it. :acool:

Edited by ricardoguitars

Posted

Good thinking you don't need to be packing a couple of grapefruits around in your pants hhahaha

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Good thinking you don't need to be packing a couple of grapefruits around in your pants hhahaha

Having cats is the closest to parenthood that I can tolerate, had to take care of my nieces a lot when I was younger, no more children for me please, lol.

Edited by ricardoguitars

Posted

Big decision,  but a smart one, just put frozen pees on them and drink cold beer for a week hahaha oh ya tell the other half she has to drain it 20 to 30 times just tp be safe, that's all good also .

1 person likes this

Posted

Big decision,  but a smart one, just put frozen pees on them and drink cold beer for a week hahaha oh ya tell the other half she has to drain it 20 to 30 times just tp be safe, that's all good also .

Just like having mumps, you get to eat a lot of ice cream, but with this you get a lot of attention instead, lol.

Posted

Ya hahahah enjoy it when you can, sooner or later you will be back under the truck.

1 person likes this

Posted

Still waiting for the clutch line, it should be here tomorrow or on Monday, I went ahead and installed the pilot bearing, the crankshaft seal, flywheel, slave cylinder, clutch disk and plate; I got everything new except the flywheel, I got it turned and it looks like new!, the outer ring piece of the old pilot bearing was still in, it was a major PITA to get it out, I had to cut it into pieces with an small chisel and a hammer, the bread trick didn't work.

photo_2018-02-15_17-09-04.thumb.jpg.8ea3

photo_2018-02-15_17-09-11.thumb.jpg.1979

photo_2018-02-15_17-08-57.thumb.jpg.2231

Posted

Mucho Better!!!

:cheers:

1 person likes this

Posted

Yup looking good bud, the way it should. Remember don't let you better half ride the clutch when she's learning or it will be burnt again hahaha

1 person likes this

Posted

The lil truck is back in the road!. Almost 100 miles on it after putting everything on it and it hasn't exploded yet, so I guess I did it right, lol, this is the first time I've replaced a clutch. :acool:

Posted

Good on ya, nice when a plan comes together, when we were kids we use to street race cars ,so many a day on my back under a car replacing a clutch or transmission hahaha, would not be keen about doing it now for sure.

1 person likes this