Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What rpm main , and clutch springs do you use , and why ?

47 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder if the one I linked to in the PIC showing no plate is from a different generation?

Have you followed NCY's clutch line? Do you know if previous version like gen1 and gen2 are blue? 

Why is your Gen3 not on your scoot? Why did you stop using it?

Posted

Not 100% sure . I know one is more like a stock clutch when it comes to color. Meaning pretty much no special color. For some reason I think one may be for a 50cc and the other a 150cc setup. 

Did you watch the " MRP " video ?

Take a look at my pics I posted at the end of the first page .

Posted (edited)

By all means , if someone reads this , we are not arguing, we are just trying to find the right answer . I believe the "mrp " video is the best evidence. When it comes to " why do the companies ship them with matching springs ?" Its more then likely a money factor. They figure , let's just send them out with matching springs and sell the replacements for others to by !! . they would more then likely have a standard the use at the company. To be honest . why would they mix them when they have no clue what springs you want ?  Even when building an engine from scrappy" maybe  a different scoot company , I'll check " , they ask which springs you want for both the main and the set of clutch springs. This is why we do this , so we can get the correct info. 

Edited by geh3333

Posted

Ok I'm going to say I'm not an expert CVT master, but here is the way I'm going to tune it. I've read this somewhere and it made complete sense to me when I read it, if I don't translate well please forgive me...

First I had to decide what type of riding I wanted, I'm working with stock right now and jumped the gun on my first few parts before understanding the unit. I want to be able to stay in low gear as long as I can and use the most from the top end.

First starting with the Contra/Torque spring:

Choosing this spring controls the duration(with help from rollors). Since I want to have a longer duration I need the strongest spring. The easier the spring is to open the the faster you can move through the gearing, which is also affected by rpm, weight, road conditions, etc... Not saying you use the weakest spring you get too top speed faster.

Next is the clutch spring

Now I want to be able to grab the bell as soon as possible, at a good idle. I've tried the 1000 but it seems that I can't have a good idle set without getting some grab from the clutch every now and then. So I'm going with the 1500 when I can. The stronger the spring the stronger the pull from the clutch at higher rpm.

The final part, variator weights

I know everyone has their own way of doing it but I'm just going to describe what I've read from the article. Start off with the lightest rollers without going to high of rpm from the engine, when you find a good weight and rpm combo that is the weight you begin with. You then judge the full revs and watch the clutch, you want the belt to climb as high as it can go with the lightest weights used in the variator. You can also start with heavier weights and go down but you could miss that extra weight saving if 10g works like 12g. 

Please let me know if anything I have said could be wrong or if I'm going in the right direction. I'm pretty good with visualization and reading papers but lack hands on experience with every part. It looks as though it would be viable to me.

Posted

Great topic guys. Thanks for creating this thread. 

Posted

I just had my new clutch set up installed and my NCY GEN 3 clutch came with orange\red springs. I called the ruck shop and inquired about it and they said they are orange. He said the NCY Gen 3 clutch come with either blue or Orange springs but they are both rated at 1k rpm. The reason I called was because my RPM were wicked high at 8+k rpm on take off, but they seems to be getting better as it is breaking in.  I am considering using a 1k contra spring to bring rpm down if still high after break in. I am hoping that the 1k spring still works well with the orange clutch springs.

Posted

I just had my new clutch set up installed and my NCY GEN 3 clutch came with orange\red springs. I called the ruck shop and inquired about it and they said they are orange. He said the NCY Gen 3 clutch come with either blue or Orange springs but they are both rated at 1k rpm. The reason I called was because my RPM were wicked high at 8+k rpm on take off, but they seems to be getting better as it is breaking in.  I am considering using a 1k contra spring to bring rpm down if still high after break in. I am hoping that the 1k spring still works well with the orange clutch springs.

Be careful using stiffer clutch springs then the main spring. The clutch pulley will begin to open before the clutch pads engage the bell. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello George, I am being told that the orange spring are actually 1k rpm, so if I use 1k rpm contra i should be ok. If that does not work and I will check for that for sure I will use my stock srpings with the NCY gen3 clutch

anyway, i ordered the NCY teflon coated variator as my buddy has same set up as me with no issues and only difference is the variator...

Posted

I have a hard time editing post. it seems I am not able too. Basically I wanted to say I wont change anything after I see how my clutch set up works with the NCY Teflon coated variator. I hope it helps drop my RPM some as my buddy has same set up with NCY variator and no issues.

Posted

I have a hard time editing post. it seems I am not able too.

I will look at Admin control panel and see what's going on.. You should be able to edit your post... 

Posted

Ital,  to be honest the orange springs where always 1500 rpm springs . blue and black are 1000 , yellow and orange are 1500 , and red is 2000 . I've never seen orange 1000 springs unless its something new. 

Posted

My Taida 2000rpm contra is Yellow. 

Posted

I have a hard time editing post. it seems I am not able too.

Okay, I got it fixed.... Editing was enabled, but it was limited to only 5 minutes after post for some reason.... So I changed to unlimited... You should be able to edit any of your post whenever now. :ok: 

1 person likes this

Posted

My Taida 2000rpm contra is Yellow. 

thats the first ti,e ive heard of a 2000 main being yellow. what are the colors on the other taida springs

Posted

thats the first ti,e ive heard of a 2000 main being yellow. what are the colors on the other taida springs

The 2000 contra is the only one they offer. 

GY6_150cc_Performance_Contra_Spring_Height.jpg

Posted

I had a couple hoca main springs . they where the shorter type . I had a 1000 and 1500 main , and they where junk compared to the longer ncy springs. They seemed very week in comparison. I actually gave them away to a member a couple years ago.  It seemed like the thickness of the metal was thinner also. I didn't measure , so I can't be certain. 

Posted

This has been some really good information.

A combined bunch of experience

and I love the pics.

Ive just been sitting back takin it all in.

This has been some really good information.

A combined bunch of experience

and I love the pics.

Ive just been sitting back takin it all in.

Posted

I had a couple hoca main springs . they where the shorter type . I had a 1000 and 1500 main , and they where junk compared to the longer ncy springs. They seemed very week in comparison. I actually gave them away to a member a couple years ago.  It seemed like the thickness of the metal was thinner also. I didn't measure , so I can't be certain. 

I installed the Hoca 1500 and it has given me the same performance as stock, but actually thinking about it could they be selling it in hopes you put the bearing spring cup to make up the difference? Does anyone have a height on the spring cup by chance to see? If so I'll order mine tomorrow.instead of waiting on the 2000 spring.

Posted

I have not used these Hoca's on anything... They're still brand new.... A few of the places I order from under my business license "Martin Mopeds LLC", I have to both, meet monthly and minimum order quantities (MOQ's) to keep my contract live.... So, sometimes my order is at $900.00 but the MOQ is $1000.00... At that point I need "filler" items...  Hence the HOCA springs and similar items..........

I have 100's of items I will never use on my personal stuff.....

Call me a sucker, call me gullible but I am a firm believer in buying Top notch, name brand "quality" stuff.... Just in my personal experience, I have learned the saying "You get what you pay for" is actually true.... 

I am going to try the Hoca 2000 RPM spring... I'm trying to figure out a way that I can do some test on all of them and get "real world" performance "hard numbers" .... I really, REALLY need a scooter DYNO bench. 

Posted

I agree. Now a days that is very true. With so many products being made in China and other less then honorable countries , the " you get what you pay for " motto has become much more accurate over the years. Even the USB phone charger cables fit this motto . if you buy a cheap $3 cable , it will last maybe a month or so of your lucky , before the end doesn't fit into the phone properly, causing problems with charging. To get a cable that actually lasts , I have found out , you need to buy one of the more expensive cables. They last much longer. Its a shame when A company cannot make a charger cable work properly and last  a long time. You have a simple product that cost under $1 to make  . it has no mechanical moving parts , just wires , solder.

Posted

Heya, quick side note back to spring color....

I found another manufacturer that does not use the red/blue/yellow spring colors to designate tensile strength....

Malossi / Naraku use white on all 3, 1000, 1500 & 2000 ....

naraku_spring_gy6_nk900.jpg

Posted

hi,, i have read the comments.. what if the person weight is heavy. about 90kg. what is the best clutch spring and center spring for my scoot.. and also grams of roller.

thanks