Weird Noise

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Geez I’m think I’m cursed with scooters. Just bought a brand freakin new BMS (ZNEN) Cavalier from a local dealership about a month ago & ever since 2 nights ago it gives off a weird noise at the rear. Not sure the exact location but after inspecting the motor & CVT I’m pretty certain it’s coming from the muffler. I haven’t brought it to the dealership for a diagnostic yet. Will be doing so in like 2 weeks coz they’re way busy. Have been regularly changing the oils & only using 91 for fuel. So I’m

baffled by this. Granted I have been riding it quite a bit for my Postmates job but hey need to make $. Anyway, I’ve posted a YouTube vid so lemme know what u guys think. I apologize for it being so dark but the camera was in close proximity to the muffler the whole time. 

Posted

Sounds like a weld broke and the baffles loose, hard to tell over YouTube 

Posted

I had my OE Muffler come completely come apart internal any never hear anything like that.

I suspect the CVT. Do the Screw driver Stethoscope, get your longest Driver and put that up to your ear and you can easily isolate the problem

If it was Me I would just pull the CVT cover and fire her up on the center stand  and most likely won't have to use the screw driver stethoscope method..

Good luck and please report back your findings 

Cheers 

DSCN0600.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Sounds like a weld broke and the baffles loose, hard to tell over YouTube 

If it is that, does it mean I gotta replace the muffler? 

Posted

Only if you want to, if there's no restriction coming out the back, put your hand at the back and Rev it up a bit , if there's lots of exhaust, I would just leave it if it were mine.

Posted

Ok can u please explain what u mean by “weld broke”? And if it did break (causing a lose baffle) what’s the best way to go about fixing it? 

Posted

You would have to cut the pipe apart and re weld it, not worth the trouble, the baffles in side the can are spot welded, and with vibrations and such sometimes break loose, I've cut some pipes up on snowmobiles and changed the baffles, but if you don't have a cutoff wheel and a welder it's not worth getting a shop to do it.

Posted

Oh wow lol ya absolutely not gonna do that. Seems my only viable options are either 1- replace the muff, 2- get a stethoscope & continue investigating, or 3- wait till my appointment at the shop

*sigh* fml 

Posted

If your not into fixing stuff yourself it maybe best to let the shop look at it, hope you have a reputable shop, scooters are pretty new to me , but I've worked and ridden motorcycles for 50 years hahaha like Piston says , watch Dan's you tube videos , he has some great stuff on there, pretty much be able to do all your own stuff.

Posted

Can u send me a link to his channel? 

Posted

Just go to you tube and put in Dan's garage, think that will get you some of the videos.

Posted

Try this

UCAgCD4f4U_rQYPrWIBktHqw

Ive listened to the video several times and it sounds more mechanical like a fan screw backing out on the flywheel side or something in there.

I know your there and I'm not so I venture to guess you've isolated the noise to the Exh side of the Scoot. 

Again find the longest screwdriver you have and put it up to the CVT cover and flywheel cover, you can work your way around the engine with it.

Posted

Ok after doin a little noise isolation & process of elimination, I’ve come to the 98% conclusion it’s coming from the muff. Don’t understand what would cause that. Sure I’ve hit a few hard bumps on accident but would that really knock the baffles lose?? Or could it be a different internal issue? 

Posted

Ok after doin a little noise isolation & process of elimination, I’ve come to the 98% conclusion it’s coming from the muff. Don’t understand what would cause that. Sure I’ve hit a few hard bumps on accident but would that really knock the baffles lose?? Or could it be a different internal issue? 

My stock muffler came completely apart internally, broke welds and the whole deal... sorry don't have some better pictures for ya.

Its pretty easy to drop the system down and have a looksee..