Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rectifier Trouble

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I have charging problems with my 150cc project scooter and could do with some help.

It has a new 11 pole stator that is giving out good AC voltage.

With the motor running I am getting only 2 or 3 volts out of the rectifier and the lights don't work.

I slid out the loom for a look and are a little confused.

IMG_20180407_133650.thumb.jpg.79150679de

Everything checks out except for the rectifier wiring.  3 yellow wires ok.  Green wire earth ok.  White wire goes directly to the enricher which I can not find any sort of resistor like my 50cc. Now the green stripe wire (power out I assume) has been fiddled.  It splices out to the positive battery terminal via a diode (that looks original) and gives power to the light switch which used to be powered by a black wire from the ignition which probably would not be a problem - just means the lights only work with the engine running.

I don't know if this is the correct rectifier or if it is faulty even though it check out with a diode test.  From my reading I need a wire from the ignition or similar as a control for the rectifier which I do not have and there are no provisions for.  So is this ever going to work???

Thanks in advance.  

Phil

Posted

Not sure how many wires that RR has. I'm thinking 6? One plug with 3 yellows and one plug with Wht, Red, Grn?

Its possible that the  Wht RR output wire can be used to power the auto choke.

I'm confused by the photo. Looks like RR Red(+12 v dc output to battery) connects to Grn/Wht which is spliced to a Grn? If so, that's not good. Electrons don't care what color the wires are if you rig things up right at the other end but that system uses Grn as the chassis ground. 

Posted

ruckus-gy6-wiring-diagram_thumb_png_f4115acb9e03d2a6e_CF_Moto_YY250T.thumb.png.f

The top diagram matches your description of the Wht wire powering the auto choke but its a 7 wire RR.

The bottom diagram matches your description of the RR output going to the blocking diode, battery and lights.

Posted

Yes its a 6 pin RR, 3 yellow a white a red and a green.

Green to ground, white to choke. Green stripe splits off in two, one going to the diode you can see there, then on to the battery, and the other going to the light switch.

I am just confused as to why there is no black wire for voltage feedback.  This RR doesn't have one so maybe its not necessary.

I might assume this one is faulty and buy one the same and try it.

Cheers

IMG_20180410_120839.thumb.jpg.630829a0eb

Posted

So I bought a new RR the same as this and it all works now.  I still do not know why some RR have a black feedback wire and some don't.  I have noticed the lights do get quite a bit brighter under revs so maybe a feedback wire would smooth this out a bit.

I might take the loom out again, pull the sheath off and upgrade those yellow wires like I saw in one of Mr Martin's videos.  They look a little spindly.

Posted

Ah yes, the mystery black wire. I haven't found any official factory explanation but the general notion is that some RR's have circuit design that can allow reverse current from the battery to discharge through the RR when the engine is not running which will drain the battery. The black wire being connected to switched +12vdc can electronically  disconnect the RR charge circuit from the  battery and prevent discharge while the machine sits. Not all RR's have this setup.

The blocking diode that you have on your rig serves the same function. It allows current to flow from the RR to the battery for charging but blocks discharge current going from the battery to the RR.

The only definite way to tell success is to run it for a bit and see if it is charging properly and that the battery is not draining down when it sits.

1 person likes this

Posted

Perfect explanation SD12!

Posted

Ah yes, the mystery black wire. I haven't found any official factory explanation but the general notion is that some RR's have circuit design that can allow reverse current from the battery to discharge through the RR when the engine is not running which will drain the battery. The black wire being connected to switched +12vdc can electronically  disconnect the RR charge circuit from the  battery and prevent discharge while the machine sits. Not all RR's have this setup.

The blocking diode that you have on your rig serves the same function. It allows current to flow from the RR to the battery for charging but blocks discharge current going from the battery to the RR.

The only definite way to tell success is to run it for a bit and see if it is charging properly and that the battery is not draining down when it sits.

Thanks for the reply.  You know, I couldn't find that info anywhere.👍

Posted

Thanks for the reply.  You know, I couldn't find that info anywhere.👍

I'm actually surprised he had the info correct....... The info isn't published anywhere and none of my sources have been able to provide it either... I stumbled across a description that labeled it as 12v sense wire.... So I contacted the manufacturer and was told - when the black wire detects high current, it prevents battery from over charging.... That's the best answer I got, despite it being cryptic..... In short as SD12, A blocking Diode that prevents your battery from over charging. 

Posted

I'm actually surprised he had the info correct....... The info isn't published anywhere and none of my sources have been able to provide it either... I stumbled across a description that labeled it as 12v sense wire.... So I contacted the manufacturer and was told - when the black wire detects high current, it prevents battery from over charging.... That's the best answer I got, despite it being cryptic..... In short as SD12, A blocking Diode that prevents your battery from over charging. 

I thought it was a sense wire too for detecting real time draw on the battery and adjusting accordingly, and could not figure out how it would work without one, but as SD12 explains it is just a switch wire and a diode does the same thing.  Not sure the diode prevents the battery from overcharging, just stops it discharging through  the RR when the engine is off.