Hunter/Phantom 150 Rear Drum to Disc Conversion

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok folks so from the get go my rear drum was out of round and if I adjusted to were it worked it dragged so I put up with it for a couple years then I saw some color matched wheels for $99. so I figured that would get me a round drum. Nope still darn near the same darn next to worthless. 

So I've been considering for a couple years to do the homework and convert to rear disc.

So first i tried to source the correct wheel, this is from a Bintelli Havoc and looks much nicer than the standard GY half casting.

It came in matt black paint so I sourced some more Wheel paint and added a couple more coats.

The disc is the oversize and you have to change mounting bracket that are included.

The upgrade deserved a new Michelin, i absolutely love these tires, and this new tire is marked as made in Serbia..

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

This oversize disc is actually bigger than the rear disc on my CBR100RR. pert much Poser size.

IMG_1524.jpg

Edited by pistonguy
2 people like this

Posted

So of the choice I opted for the poser chrome swing arm.

The spacers welded to the swing arm are longer so you will have to source two  longer bolts that attach the swing arm to engine.

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Easy to source the master cylinder and caliper from Partsforscooters..

I had the Stainless braided hose made locally.

83" custom made with the color matched and under $30.

IMG_1543.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

And while is was there I found some busted plastic so I opted for Genuine 100% Guaranteed poser Fake Carbon Fiber.

IMG_1556.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good, you know though, bling won't get you home, if in doubt black it out hahahaha

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah my new 13" wheel is also dragging on the rear drum brake pads  --  I wonder if the axle is out of alignment?

Anyway, I too will be following your lead and eventually upgrading to Bintelli-style rear discs later this year.

In the meantime, the new drums are better than before but still not good enough.

M

Posted

100-173_GY6_Rear_Hydraulic_Brake

Ya know that out of round problem on the typical GY style wheel must be widespread if both of us have two sets of wheels with both out of round drums.

Here is a complete Front Master with brake line and Caliper ready to go on your setup. it does include the bracket to bolt up to the swing arm.

I am using that very caliper and master just not there hose, fine quality they both are.

Consider your mirror mount tho, the Master cylinder available I see have the mount for the mirror on the clamp side of the assy, not the front of the assy as in oe.

I got tired at looking at my shoulders so I have some bar end mount mirror ready to go..

1 person likes this

Posted

hey Piston do you have links for the rims, I'm tired of these janky CPI rims feel like they are out of balance a lot and I need a rear disc. 

Send the source list for the main parts if possible please, much thanks

Posted (edited)

Here.

118-3-Bintelli-Havoc-13-Inch-Rear-Rim

Street-Scooter-Calipers-and-Parts

There are a couple calipers you can use here. they come with the bracket to fit stock size rotor, if you go with the oversized rotor they provide the correct bracket you just have to change it over..

Edited by pistonguy
1 person likes this

Posted

Here is the oversized brake rotor.

these boys appear to have a place in Puerto Rico and here in Shelby NC.

Ive had good shipping service from both locations.

m.html

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you kind sir, will try to get these soon.

Posted

Piston, do you think you will be upgrading the front rotor to an oversized anytime soon?

Posted

Piston, do you think you will be upgrading the front rotor to an oversized anytime soon?

No I won't being doing that at all.

The little forks dive so hard when I grab a handful of front brake as it is then I have the chassis flex after that, so I don't think a oversized front disc will make the scoot stop any faster only compound the forks diving into the pavement. I mentioned before I swapped out the oe fork water to some 15w fork oil to slow them down and it did help. 

On a older bike I tried any really liked the fork springs from Progressive suspension. wish I could match some up for the GY.

So to me the whole oversized front brake mod is mostly poser like my rear oversized disc thats bigger than the one on my CBR..

1 person likes this