NO SPARK

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi so i put a new engine in a running bike with blown engine like a fool I connected the starter motor lead Earth to the battery negative.. it burnt out the green wire for the STATOR to all the other green wires that connect together half way down the loom below the gas tank i replaced the STATOR and traced green wire all the way to the 3 wire join under the tank replaced the CDI ,COIL SPARK PLUG REG/REC all work on another bike but this thing wont start it has no spark but when i hold the HT lead at the boot away from the frame it gives me a shock im baffled by it any help would be appreciated its a Tommy 125 , DB125 E / 152qmi  this is a DC system  + / -

Edited by marky

Posted

If you're getting a shock holding the HT lead but can't see a spark, it could possibly be a bad plug or wrong plug.... Or, the coil itself could be bad..... I dunno what really to suggest.... :thinking: 

Posted

Tried several plugs and coils all worked on another engine its just very strange never had this problem before was hoping someone had come across same issue with a fix my only option is to replace the whole wiring loom see if that works i guess 

Posted

One thought: if your kill circuit is active (e.g. a short), there will be no spark.

For most Chinese bikes the kill circuit is black/white.

Posted

One thought: if your kill circuit is active (e.g. a short), there will be no spark.

For most Chinese bikes the kill circuit is black/white.

If it were in the kill circuit, he would not be getting any shock. In the event of a bad kill, The CDI will not output to the coil. 

If the coil end itself is zapping him but he's not getting spark, only thing I can think of is a bad plug...The plug is gaped wrong? I'm at a loss.

Posted (edited)

Bad engine ground?

Edited by TheDullCarbide
1 person likes this

Posted

I tested the continuity from the green - from reg to cdi and all good i think i will hook up a ground to frame battery and case see if that works but yes i think its a bad ground 

Posted

I tested the continuity from the green - from reg to cdi and all good i think i will hook up a ground to frame battery and case see if that works but yes i think its a bad ground 

Do you also have an engine ground? 

You must have 2 main ground wires.... Your engine grounded to the frame and the battery grounded to the frame.....

Posted

Also *NOTE.... You need bare metal for a ground. Do not use painted metal as paint is non-conductive.