stator AC/DC

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Can anyone confirm is there any difference with a AC/ or a DC Stator are they the same or is there a difference  ?

Posted

Can anyone confirm is there any difference with a AC/ or a DC Stator are they the same or is there a difference  ?

Yes, there is a difference. 

Here's where it gets confusing... All stators produce non-rectified, unregulated A/C current...... 

The resaon for the A/C or D/C label is for the ignition system (typically a CDI on a GY6).... Some CDI get their power directly from the battery.... This is D/C setup and the stator is wired for that type of setup...... An A/C CDI get's powered directly from the stator and is wired for such.... 

Posted

So is there an actual difference in the Stator ie the AC Stator is the DC Stator there is no difference i understand the CDI difference and also they have different plug types and full wave more poles etc but is the Stator the same ? 

Posted

So is there an actual difference in the Stator ie the AC Stator is the DC Stator there is no difference i understand the CDI difference and also they have different plug types and full wave more poles etc but is the Stator the same ? 

No, there is an actual difference in the stator as well (part of the wiring)... An A/C stator  has a dedicated coil that provides power to the CDI.... It's normally wrapped and about 4 times thicker than the rest of the poles.... A D/C stator has no dedicated pole....

This is an A/C stator - see how a coil is wrapped? - LINK

Here is a D/C stator - No wrapped coil - LINK

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks i was told nu to parts experts there the same as long as the plugs match but the thing just wont start

back to ebay

Posted

No, there is an actual difference in the stator as well (part of the wiring)... An A/C stator  has a dedicated coil that provides power to the CDI.... It's normally wrapped and about 4 times thicker than the rest of the poles.... A D/C stator has no dedicated pole....

This is an A/C stator - see how a coil is wrapped? - LINK

Here is a D/C stator - No wrapped coil - LINK

Can an AC type stator be used in a DC application and the dedicated pole left open? My buggy does that but then again it's a buggy.

Posted

Can an AC type stator be used in a DC application and the dedicated pole left open? My buggy does that but then again it's a buggy.

Yes, but you have to have a CDI powered from the battery....  

The dedicated pole is still part of the over-all output of electricity.... It's dedicated, not isolated... In short, it has to do with timing.... 

1 person likes this