Good quality scooter shocks

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking ahead, one thing I would like to improve would be the overall handling of my Chinese scooter. Not handling in terms of racing, but rather something that would take some of the "harshness" out of the inevitable potholes I encounter. I've gone from 120/70-12 to 140-60-13 tires & rims which offer a slightly bigger diameter than stock. I may play with tire pressure a bit too to see how that helps (or not). But I'm thinking I should start with the rear shocks first as it is pretty much a given that the shocks supplied are certainly junk. Mine measure 320mm, which I assume is a pretty stock length for such scooters.

I thought this was a pretty good intro to the subject: https://rideapart.com/articles/suspension-setup-rebound-compression-damping.

Thoughts? 

Michael

Posted

I can't get the link to work, but, not being a techy type guy, I bought used rear shocks from various scooters and bikes until I hit upon the right ones for what I wanted. While not very scientific, it worked for me. Different lengths from differing sized bikes, and they were dirt cheap. For the front, I just varied different weight oil in my standard forks and got very close to what I want.

Posted

Mine are the same on my Yami,  I wish there was rebound and dampening adjustments mine are just plain harsh at times over rougher roads, if you go same length shock your ok, that way it won't change trail or rake of the bike. I would love the soften up my rear shock.

Posted

Ya those might work, at least there is some adjustments,  you would have to do some measuring to make sure they fit, clearance,  

Posted

the frustrating thing is lack of verifiable reviews. You *know* that the $500+ shocks sold over here are made in China, perhaps by this same company. But there is  no way to be sure. And even if these turned out to be the best shocks ever(tm), there is no guarantee that they would be available a few months from now. Such a new way of doing business. Foreign to me.

M

1 person likes this

Posted

MJ, you will find even some lower end Nitrogen and Huge improvement of the oe shock you have on, and they are the same that came on mine.

I have some pouch suspension my CBR and KX and find the little Scoot will beat up my wrists just looking at a washboard.

I bought these from Parts for Scooters and again made a huge difference, the bummer when they arrived again was some lack of information that they will bolt on fit.

That lower reservoir diameter makes contact to the case, so darn it I fought with butchering it for awhile and just couldn't do it, then I found these relocation brackets 

The brackets move the shock to the back some 1.5- 2 inch or so.

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

Posted

The name on them is Forsa. ya it was a omg this is so much better when i tok her for a spin.

I also have been putting off a fork service and typicaly once I got in there a couple weeks ago should have been done right from the crate.

the Fork oil was more like dirty solvent from a nasty solvent degreaser that was overdue for a change metal particals the whole deal.

The forks to me with the light oil (i would guess the 5w) were to quick and need to be slowed down some, some people say wee that makes them harsh, but no with the 15w fork oil it slowed them down nicely for a much more comfortable ride, the front end dived slower and less with the waiver weight oil when you grabbed a handful of front brake and I really liked that.

Ive though of contacting Progressive suspension to see if they have anything that may cross over to swap out the fork springs.

Oh I should note the shock relocates will drop the rear end that 2 inch, I was concerned she would look squatty in the rear but was no big deal, i did like the seat being lowered that 2 inch and the lowering did not effect any lean angle issues.

While I was at the fork service, I had had a fork off once and saw how it was located and was mistaken the the two grooves in the fork tube are held by the two pinch bolts but once I put my finger up there only the top pinch bolt locates the fork so heck we spiffed the second groove up and I dropped the front end to match the rear end, This still did not effect lean angle and just tweeked the side stand and no other clearance issues.

DSCN1227.jpg

This is how she sits today.  

L RI DU!!!

May not be your thing tho..

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Dam piston that thing is cleaner than my bedroom

Posted

Yup does look good for sure.