Looking to add UNI filter again

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey folks, I sure could use some help on this one...

Looking to install my Uni filter back on and get rid of the under seat air filter.

I am having a problem on how to vent the head. The line that runs from the head all the way back to the CVT goes to a "T" inter junction.

The bottom of the "t" was filtering the pressure back to the middle of the stock air cleaner hose. I feel like capping the bottom of the "t" will cause issues with to much head pressure.

What are my options here?

20180625_120137[1].jpg

Posted

I'm in the minority here but I'm not a fan of UNI's. Here's what I did instead: I cut out the stock filter and I replaced it with a high-flow Simota filter from a Yamaha Zuma. Permanently glued into place with marine-grade black silicone. Happy camper. YMMV.

Simota_air_filter_IMG_4391.1200.jpg

I should add that keeping the stock housing solves both the rain problem and the breather hose problem...

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks MJS,

Not a fan of UNI??? Tar and feathering time....:yikes:

Your most likely right about leaving the original airbox on, I run with no back tire guard already.

I go around puddles of water like an old biddy... Most scooters hate water, especially Chinese.

Thanks again for responding MJS.

Posted

You can order uni foam and use your filter housing and glue it in, then you have an oiled foam filter, I will never use a k&n type filter sure they let way more air threw but also particles of sand and dust, great way to eat your rings, just my .2c worth.

Posted

Is anyone out there running their engine on 5w-20 oil?

Posted

I use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil. 

Posted (edited)

Is anyone out there running their engine on 5w-20 oil?

I use whatever I have laying around in the 10W-30 to 15W-40 range.:doh: But my engine's pretty well worn-in.

Edited by TheDullCarbide

Posted

I'd be using it to break in my 171cc Taida engine...thinking of overpaying for Royal Purp., just seems like a waste of $$$.

Posted

After my breaking my GY is exclusively running Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w/40 synth, with a dab of Lucas Synth devy hooty synth.

I think I have abouts 155 + hours on the Royal and Lucas and she is e  very quiet running GY.

I run the Maxima RS in the CBR and its normally a bit pricier than the Purple.

2 people like this

Posted

I use shell rotten 5-40 synthetic diesel oil, works in all my bikes old and new.

1 person likes this

Posted

After my breaking my GY is exclusively running Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w/40 synth, with a dab of Lucas Synth devy hooty synth.

I think I have abouts 155 + hours on the Royal and Lucas and she is e  very quiet running GY.

I run the Maxima RS in the CBR and its normally a bit pricier than the Purple.

Lucas all the way! For the tranny I do the 50/50 Lucas and gear oil 

Posted

I've been using amsoil 75-140 gear lube,  just cuzz I had some in the rear drive.

Posted (edited)

I use shell rotten 5-40 synthetic diesel oil, works in all my bikes old and new.

Thats some fine product, I know  of a pro mx show that had big deal with motorex and they would pour the motorex out of the bottles and fill with Rotella for use in th race bikes, the public only saw Motorex

Edited by pistonguy
1 person likes this

Posted

I use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil. 

Also some very high end product, I have a first hand from a very trusted builder I have worked with for a long time. Tom was running seven continues dyno rooms and what he always told me was "these people are very serious about oil"

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I had some left over from my diesel pickup, and Dan said it was good for the drive so I went with it. I try and run good oil in my pickup because I tow lots.

Posted

Well I had some left over from my diesel pickup, and Dan said it was good for the drive so I went with it. I try and run good oil in my pickup because I tow lots.

That Rottela as I said is a very trusted product at a great price, the Cali MX pro show is racing with that product.

Posted

I've read nothing but good things about it, so that's why  went with it.

Posted

Pistonguy, what year CBR do you have? Any pic's?

250, 600, or 1000cc?

Posted

2012  CBR1000RR.

Has Ignition and Leo Vince pipe.

IMG_0731.jpg

DSCN1262.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

Dude, both bikes are breathtaking! Which did you have first?

My whole venture with getting the scooter is because I had a hard time saving up for my CBR 600RR

Would be happy with anyone from 2005-2009.

05 and 06 have that closed nose that I love, and 07-09 are the fastest and most comfortable 600's.

Also big fan of the under-seat tailpipe, but yours is REALLY nice!

Posted

Ya now your just showing of Piston hahaha

1 person likes this

Posted

Ya now your just showing of Piston hahaha

you know it.

1 person likes this

Posted

When you got it.....flaunt it!

Posted

I'm in the minority here but I'm not a fan of UNI's. 

You're not in the minority.....If someone installs a UNI on a stock motor, it'll actually hurt performance. At a minimum, it must be couple with an upjetted carb and a free flow exhaust in order to take advantage of the extra air... After all, you can't increase the air flow with out also increasing fuel flow... Then you need a way to let it breath out..... The real gain is when it's coupled with a ported head and larger valves...  Then of course, someone has to be real good at tuning or cheat like I do with an O2 sensor. 

3 people like this