Dmartin95's guide to doing mods.

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Part 1

about how the CDI, coil, and spark plug upgrade is total bunk when it comes to speed increases? In my experience, engine upgrade is the way to go!!! Does anyone out there have a CDI that really makes a difference?

---------------------------------------------

So, you get a new moped/buggy and fall in love with it..... But you would just like a little more speed, or different color, or different handling or whatever mod you wanna do.... STOP.... First piece of advice comes here...  Ask yourself, am I confidant enough in my skills and am I willing to start gambling with a proven configuration (and always make sure you have the required tools first also)....

Now, one of the most popular mods, and coincidentally one of the biggest sources of end user problems is CDI and coil upgrade..... First let me address the coil... (This will be a reoccurring theme in this thread).... The Chinese can clone almost any technology out there... However, A lot of the time it's an inferior replica of the original and the manufacturer in some instances doesn't even understand the tech... This will be referred to as "Made in China" ----> mic 

The coil, in almost every non-race setup, you will not gain any performance...Even on a 232cc, you will not gain performance and the stock coil will work....  What you gain with an upgraded coil is reliability and, this goes to MIC.... As many of you know, products out of China at times suck, well, the scoot will come with a stock coil and I can't tell you how many stock coils I have personally seen fail, let alone, how many coils I've sold because people told me there original failed.... So, if you get a good, quality coil for example a genuine "Bando", it's less likely to fail and it's an under $25.00 upgrade... Worth it my opinion....And note, this isn't to say all Chinese ones are junk either.. It's a gamble... Usually, the less you pay, the more it sucks. 

Now, when it comes to the CDI....Unless you change the CAM, it's pointless.... What a CDI basically does is tell your Coil when to send power to your spark plug. Your engine has what is called "timing"... With a CDI, you can basically advance or retard the timing AND change WHEN it fires throughout different RPM's/power-band...   

Here's where it gets complicated... Scooter racing outside of the USA (mostly Asia) is both, super competitive... So, what winds up going on, is serious racers, with crazy good mechanical-engineering skills get a-hold of a GY6. Next, they start grinding out new cams, re-working the head, bigger piston. air/fuel/exhaust upgrade....Part of this process is setting the new timing to match your new power-band. Back to the complicated... These racers/engineers go out and win races... Great for the racer, bad for the consumer....

Here's why.. That race-winner will have a lot of people wanting to copy his setup.. Through hook or crook, the engine parts wind up being copied and distributed to everyone, when it's actually for a specific setup... . MIC.... China clones everything, even technology they don't understand...So, while they do copy actual racing tech, it usually is setup for a specific type of build...

To conclude this part of doing mods, I will end on this note.... Yes, A CDI can be a powerful upgrade for the right build, but figuring that out is a gamble and your best bet is to buy a kit that includes Cam & CDI together and originates anywhere other than China.  

4 people like this

Posted

Good write up Dan and nice to have you around.

Posted

Dan, spot on on the whole ignition thing.

But were can I get even those copied race parts?

Posted (edited)

Good write up Dan and nice to have you around.

I'm not really around just yet...  

Edited by DMartin95
1 person likes this

Posted

Dan, spot on on the whole ignition thing.

But were can I get even those copied race parts?

That is the million dollar question my friend! 

What I did was buy every cam, A8~A15 and K80 , all Taida's cams plus every CDI I came across..Tried a million combos and hoped for the best. Eventually came to the conclusion that you need a programmable CDI, computer to view real time analysis coupled with an Oxygen sensor.... 

About the best piece of advice I can give on this topic, if you don't have money to play with a bunch of different parts and you're hoping to be able to do a build performance on a budget, DON'T.... If you can't afford to waste money on CDI's, don't buy one hoping it will have the magic bullet.... And, if you have a stock motor, DON'T buy a CDI at all.... Only reason a person would need a racing/perf CDI is to match the new Camshaft profile.... Without a different cam profile, you're wasting your money.  

3 people like this

Posted

Life's to short not to have fun bud.

Posted

Well heck, I was hoping for at least a copy of a copy of a copy of something.

I never considered a drop in Cam in a Stock motor, stock valve train as a "racing" cam.. very mild bumps at best.

Im sure market forces dictate and there will be very little market for GY cams that require higher compression ratios and non stock valve train.