Can a brother get 24 hours of happiness?

85 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Okay so Hope still wouldn't start after putting in a new chain guard, this time right-side up.

So I took the engine apart again today and I found hopefully the last problem.

The exhaust valve is blown and won't seat...

Look at that metal piece from the chain-guard tear up my cylinder head.

So now I am in the process of JB welding my EGR port on the original head, and will throw that on there temporary until I get a new head.

So with any luck I will be back on the road tomorrow attempting to race Yamaha R1's.

20180720_172834[1].jpg

20180720_173037[1].jpg

20180720_173146[1].jpg

Okay, without a doubt you need a new head.... But that's not all. More than likely, you need a new cylinder/piston/rings as well... 

DIRECTION OF TRAVEL....  The ONLY way the timing guide metal bits could have gotten up in your combustion chamber is past the piston rings....You can take metal shavings, and while turning the engine over, sprinkle them into the intake port and they'll just blow right out the exhaust port....  Your combustion chamber is sealed... 

I've repaired these scooters for a long time, don't waste your time with just trying a new head... You'll destroy it, also... drain the oil, take the cylinder off, starter clutch, oil pump, etc etc....  You need to strip the block down to remove all the metal bits and pieces.  You may have even ruined the crank bearings and journals.... 

When your chain started chewing up your guide, it pulled the pieces down into the engine and those pieces traveled up through your engine.... You need to do a complete rebuild I suspect. 

This isn't the news you want to hear, but trust me, you're just spinning your wheels and wasting money if you just try slapping a new head on there.

Edited by DMartin95
2 people like this

Posted

Okay, without a doubt you need a new head.... But that's not all. More than likely, you need a new cylinder/piston/rings as well... 

DIRECTION OF TRAVEL....  The ONLY way the timing guide metal bits could have gotten up in your combustion chamber is past the piston rings....You can take metal shavings, and while turning the engine over, sprinkle them into the intake port and they'll just blow right out the exhaust port....  Your combustion chamber is sealed... 

I've repaired these scooters for a long time, don't waste your time with just trying a new head... You'll destroy it, also... drain the oil, take the cylinder off, starter clutch, oil pump, etc etc....  You need to strip the block down to remove all the metal bits and pieces.  You may have even ruined the crank bearings and journals.... 

When your chain started chewing up your guide, it pulled the pieces down into the engine and those pieces traveled up through your engine.... You need to do a complete rebuild I suspect. 

This isn't the news you want to hear, but trust me, you're just spinning your wheels and wasting money if you just try slapping a new head on there.

Yeah Daniel, I was thinking the same thing....

I did check the piston and cylinder walls and they look good, but will be draining oil and checking on my starter clutch, oil pump area for more metal.

That Taida you sold me is very important to me, the head was no big deal, I will throw a brand new one once mine comes back into stock.

Thanks for chiming in on this, I know your busy, like us all.

I know most of you have seen this but if you haven't it will be here, and pretty useful.

Posted (edited)

Yupers , there was something different banging around the Combustion Chamber.

Is you Circlip in Place? look at the tips to make sure they are there, it was at the 3 O'clock position/

Dome of that Piston has to be beat up also. that hammering from debris can close up a ring land.

Fuel, Spark and Compression, she didn't have any Compression.

Dont feel to bad kid, imagine if this would have happened on a CBR build? live and learn now..

Edited by pistonguy

Posted

Yeah today I have to have patience, a lot of work to do....

Well all these extra gaskets will come in handy.

Posted

Again check that the that Top Ring land is Not beat down.

Should rotate freely or should check the physical Ring Side Clearance..

Posted

Alright folks, been working since 8 a.m. this morning and took the whole engine apart...no broken metal anywhere

Piston looks great and was spared damage, rings and clips in place.

Cylinder was as smooth as smooth could be....

HOPE LIVES!

She fired right up! Just in time for my bday tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

1 person likes this

Posted

Keep her running, and don't do anything I wouldn't do on your birthday hahaha

Posted

Well Kid did you get some cold beers and layed on your birthday hahahaha cheers bud.

Posted

I'm truly sorry to see what happened Kachi, but I see you didn't let it keep you down. I'm glad your back up and running again. Happy belated Birthday I hope it was good to you.

1 person likes this

Posted

Man I don't even wanna know what it took. haven a ton of those grenade go thru my hands and eyes that piston had to be as gnarly as the head..:497_screaming_bug_eye_face:

Get-R-Dun...

1 person likes this

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

I have that record, for you young guys that's a round black thing that goes on a turntable hahahaa

1 person likes this

Posted

Please Fifty, tell us the story about your 1st day with electricity...:giggle:

Posted

Please Fifty, tell us the story about your 1st day with electricity...:giggle:

He was a witness on the murder of the dead sea. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The first time I saw electricity was when we unloaded the ox driven covered wagons, she was a grand day hahaha smart asses 

1 person likes this

Posted

Saw Queen in concert in 77.. wasn't really into them but was very impressed with the Fredy Mercury show..

Posted

Ya I remember the days, been to the Stones, Hendrix, Dead, Moody Blues, Cream, Eric Clapten was one of my favorite guitarists, we use to get them all when I lived in the big city, still have most of the old albums. 

Posted

Just for chuckles.

20180728_113122.jpg

Posted

One day, I will be able to afford a Yamaha SMax....

Until then I will keep plugging away on my Chinese SMin (minimum)

Don't ever fear dead people....

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey bud that's very cool, owning an Smax is nice but since they only sold 17 of them in Canada and about 97 in the USA there are no after market parts, it sucks, I just add gas and ride,  I've never left a bike so stock as this one, only place for custom stuff is basically Japan, and our dollar is worth about as much as a pesos,  keep up the vids, very good stuff.

2 people like this

Posted

Well that pretty cool.

plug and play is my language with Ready Kilowatt..

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey bud that's very cool, owning an Smax is nice but since they only sold 17 of them in Canada and about 97 in the USA there are no after market parts, it sucks, I just add gas and ride,  I've never left a bike so stock as this one, only place for custom stuff is basically Japan, and our dollar is worth about as much as a pesos,  keep up the vids, very good stuff.

Fifty, I just have to say that you are one of the most positive people I have ever chatted with.

Bro, do you have kids? They must love the heck out of you!

You are a good man Charlie Brown.

Posted

Yup a son, he rides a Husky TE 310 and a daughter, she rides a 250 yami dual sport , I had them on bikes when they were babies, good life, great kids, great wife, live close to the liquor store life's good, I'm only negative when I play golf, there's lots to be negative there for sure hahahaha

1 person likes this