32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I thought I'd start a different thread for my new "eZuma" as opposed to the petrol-sipping "JayZee".

I'll start with a photo from day 1 -- directly after picking up via Craigslist.

Notice the heavy use of decorative plastics and decals.

Not to my taste. Those will have to go. I like my bikes naked!

eZuma naked_IMG7622_DxO.day1.jpg

So 24 hrs later, my busy hands were happy to remove the extraneous decorative plastics and decals. Note: it was easy to remove the decals: 20 secs each with a heat gun was enough to loosen 'em up, then just peal away.

This "bare bones" state is where I begin the journey.

eZuma naked_IMG7622_DxO.day2.jpg

Edited by MJSfoto1956

Posted

Michael that is very very nice

I look forward to your build.. I'm sure its gunna be good!

Posted

Yup I'm in, nothing but rain up here now, so keep me from getting bored hahaha

Posted

First things first. One must understand the wiring you are dealing with.

I spent about 2 hrs cleaning up the tangled mess that goes for Chinese wiring in these bikes.

At this point, I actually think I understand how most of it works! :P

IMG_6262.1500.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

:yikes:

1 person likes this

Posted

The other thing you discover is that the Chinese "engineers" are sending 72v up to the handlebars! ("We don't need no stickin' relays!")

Posted

Lovely, just f___k__g lovely , hahahaha

Posted

This is why I am going to start by replacing the controller first -- I want to rewire everything anyway so I might as well "get it right" first time around. Later I will add a more powerful motor (from the same manufacturer QSmotor) then last-but-not-least, replace the battery pack. It might take me a year or more to complete, but I will begin this fall with the controller and wiring.

Posted

Sounds like you have the plan,  now I know why guys are always complaining about Chinese wiring, I didn't realize it looked like that.

Posted

Sounds like you have the plan,  now I know why guys are always complaining about Chinese wiring, I didn't realize it looked like that.

The photo of the wiring is AFTER I spent 2hrs cleaning it up!

You should have seen it before! :P

Posted

Oops my bad, you did a great job, might be a little late to retract my last statement hahaha

Posted

Sketch of possible future dash, showing PowerVelocity software running on 7" Samsung Tab A for scale.

Also showing positioning of CycleAnalyst V3 mounted below.

IMG_6282.after.jpg

IMG_6282.before.jpg

Posted

That sure looks better than the bottom one.

Posted

Any updates?

A very cool project

Posted

Any updates?

A very cool project

traveling at present but my email has notified me of some parts that have arrived in my absence...

Posted

New CNC swingarm just arrived from China -- man this thing is beefy!

M

IMG_6348.jpg

Posted

Ahhhhh the build begins , just read that Vespa is putting out a e vespa in Europe, 4kw motor and about 60 mile range.

Posted

Ahhhhh the build begins , just read that Vespa is putting out a e vespa in Europe, 4kw motor and about 60 mile range.

my goal is 8kW and 60mi range. 

I must say: this era reminds me of the early 1960s when people were experimenting with superchargers, fuel injection, turbochargers, etc. Exciting times.

Posted

Your right, love the power the electric motors put out but hate the range, if they could manage 4 to 8 kw and a 200 mile range I would be way more interested in buying one, but they are making headway for sure, can't wait to see how you make out. Up North here we pay .6c a kilowatt hour for hydro, down in Arizona I pay .18c , I could make a electric scooter work up here for around town and short hauls for sure. After the first time I rode away without unplugging it I would learn hahaha

Posted

Here's a new one, Zapp i300, Google it, supposed to be about the same as a 300cc scooter. Read this on a UK scooter forum.

Posted

The other thing you discover is that the Chinese "engineers" are sending 72v up to the handlebars! ("We don't need no stickin' relays!")

Engineers love voltages above 12v. Lets them use smaller wires (higher gauge) due to Ohm's law. Smaller wires are cheaper, less weight, take less space, etc.

I had several debates with engineers at a US based world recognized company that were betting that basic automotive electrical systems would be replaced with 48v dc systems by    2015. We weren't directly in the automotive industry but they had associations. And that wasn't with electric cars or even hybreds, just basic vehicles. With tiny wires all over the things that are fragile as hell.

They would come up with all of these hair brain ideas and poor bastards like me would have to try to implement them.

1 person likes this

Posted

Some diesel battery starting systems are 24 volt DC.  I have twin batteries in my Cummins but not sure if it's 12 or 24, 

1 person likes this

Posted

Some diesel battery starting systems are 24 volt DC.  I have twin batteries in my Cummins but not sure if it's 12 or 24, 

That depends how are the batteries connected, series or parallel (+ with +, and - with -, or + with - ). Connecting 2 x 12v batteries in series gives you twice the voltage, that is 24v, if they are connected in parallel, you get 12v but more cracking amps, big diesels are usually in parallel, since diesel engines have higher compression than gas engines, they are harder to turn, hence the more cranking power needed.

Batteries connected in series are usually found on military vehicles, to power military equipment like radios and such. 

Posted

Ricardo I was a DC electrician for 35 years hahahaha your preaching to the choir here lad hahaha I'm just too damn lazy to go and look and follow the wires is what I'm saying, I use to use 2 6 volt batteries for trailer + to - and make it 12 volts, just for cranking amps, works great till you have to pay to replace them, cheers

1 person likes this

Posted

Ricardo I was a DC electrician for 35 years hahahaha your preaching to the choir here lad hahaha I'm just too damn lazy to go and look and follow the wires is what I'm saying, I use to use 2 6 volt batteries for trailer + to - and make it 12 volts, just for cranking amps, works great till you have to pay to replace them, cheers

Damn. I didn't know they had Electricity back then..

2 people like this