Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

63mm Taida BBK questions about modifying engine case

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I am thinking about in the near future to get one of these kits and I was wondering how I can machine the case my self and has anyone done so with good success?
Is there a tool I can use safely to do this job?

Thanks in advance

Posted

Check out this link right here....

Hi All,

has anyone done so with good success?

I have bored out over 100 cases at this point. 

Posted

Another co0ol video, Dan!

Since i got my GY6 I always thought about doing what Ital is thinking of - boring it out myself.  The stumbling block is the cost of the tool, which is stupid to pay for only your own case.

but after watching the video - even if i had the tool I'd send the case to you and let you screw with it.  It's fun and rewarding to do stuff yourself, by IMHO this particular job is just not worth the hassle.  Not that it's too complicated - but it seems one of those things where experience makes all the difference ... and the low cost to have it done by an expert just makes it foolish to do the work yourself.

Posted

Yep, I would have never purchased the boring tools if I was only planning on doing just one block... NCY sells theirs for around 150 and taida's is 200 (my cost)....

I do offer a case boring service if anyone is interested.

Posted

When an operation that I need done ( that I can do but don't own the tooling) ,,I sub it out,,,it just doesn't pay to buy the tooling for one or two jobs,,,,,all my blocks,,,heads and barrels go out,,, 

1 person likes this

Posted

So here is my 2 cents - what looks like a plug for Dan Martin but really is just my opinion.

I recently contracted with martin's to build a SuperEngine (Taida) for me.  As part of it I had to send my stripped down old motor (less flywheel, variator, clutch) from San Diego to Michigan, and Martin's had to ship (at my expense) the completed SuperEngine back to me.  The cost - almost across the country - was only $35 to ship my old engine, and only $45 to ship the SuperEngine.

Given it's that cheap to ship a complete engine, and probably only half that to ship 2 pieces of aluminum crankcase, and given Martin's specializes in boring these engines (unlike a general purpose machine shop) ...

there is no way I would use anyone else.  Sorry, not a plug --- just sharing my experience and opinion in the hopes it will be useful to some other Scootaholics.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking for a winter project and I did not want to spend crazy money. After watching the video I will most likely not bore out the case my self and have Dan a professional do it. I just got to get my mind around getting the engine out. I've never done so.
Basically the real reason I was thinking about doing this is because I want a high compression forged piston so I figure while at it upgrade to 63mm BBK, and my current ported head should work just fine with it. I did some research and it seems I can bore my case out to 64.75 MM max and thus I would not be able to fit a Taida 63mm which needs at least 65.5mm

anyway I will need to do some research, but I will keep you guys up to date for sure!!! :-)

Posted

Hey Bro!

Taida mfg's a Forged 61mm Higher Comp. Piston. you can drop it in your set-up right  now.

I think you know, just sayin  

DSCN0709.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank bro, yeah I did know, but since I am spending the money trying to see if possible to go 63mm

Your review on the forged piston is also a reason why I want the taida forged piston. :smile:

it seems ncy makes a 63 mm that would fit and then I can add the taida piston... Just brain storming...

Posted

Something to think about, You Have a Cylinder head to fit a 61m bore. The Combustion Chamber is the 61mm Diameter.

Putting That Head on you will now have a portion of the Flat Gasket Area Inside the Bore, Really Bad Buzz.

The Combustion Chamber Diameter Must be the Same as the Bore Size.

That 61mm Head is that Diameter to Match OE Compression Ratio,  Installing the Smaller Diameter Head will Bump Up the Compression By Who Knows how much. Intact the Mini Dome on the Forging May Contact the Head. You will have to Check the Squish Clearance. 

Its just something I would Strongly Advise Against.

Carry On!

Posted

Has anyone ever bored out out the oil cooler holes on a stock engine case ? 

Posted

Yep, I would have never purchased the boring tools if I was only planning on doing just one block... NCY sells theirs for around 150 and taida's is 200 (my cost)....

I do offer a case boring service if anyone is interested.

I wish I found you before I spent $90 at the machine shop. Buggy Depot does them for $36 but you are on the hook for shipping. (Roughly $60 round trip)

Posted

Dan has a whole ton of how to GY videos..