Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CDI's ... A/C, D/C and all that goes with.....

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Gang....

I'm in the process of working on the store and other things, but for now I'm parking these pictures in here... I'm going to be providing descriptions and what their functions are. The difference of A/C vs D/C, Advanced curve, No Rev limit, Digital, .... But for now, we're just going to get to look at cool pics... LOL....

I will update this thread ASAP. 

CDI_Collection_01.jpg

AC_CD_Advanced_Curve_No_Rev.jpg

ADJUSTABLE_CDI_AC.jpg

Ban_Jing_Microchip_CDI-Coil.jpg

Cassoli_CDI_AC_Racing_High_Quality.jpg

DC_CDI_Digitakt_Adjustable.jpg

Performance_CDI_Coil_Red_Orange_No_Rev_Limit.jpg

Posh_CDI_.jpg

Power_Re_Digital_CDI_01.jpg

Power_Re_Digital_CDI_02.jpg

USB_Programable_DC_CDI.jpg

Posted

I'm grabbing the popcorn.

Posted

Wow! that some bunch of ? from Ready Kilowatt I guess. 

Ya id really like to know the real scoop on this stuff.

Posted

I have been so slammed lately... I've been wanting to do a really good write up... I'm probably even going to make some videos with a couple of those.

I'll get to 'em gang as soon as I get free time.  

Posted

Alright so here's the A/C CDI's ... I will come back to this thread, update with D/C and give explanations, but not verification's :rofl2: . 

I will try and list the specs, one by one. These are specs listed by the manufacturer or distributor I acquired them from. I am not endorsing or recommending any one in particular. 

1. No Rev limit and Advanced acceleration curve - Blue anodized aluminum housing for heat dissipation 

AC_CD_Advanced_Curve_No_Rev.thumb.jpg.1f

2. High Angle CDI - No rev limit, For Better Starts w/coil Choice of Red or Orange Performance_CDI_Coil_Red_Orange_No_Rev_L

3.) Adjustable Racing CDI - POWER REV co. - Aluminum housing for heat dissipation

Power_Re_Digital_CDI_02.thumb.jpg.4a735c

Power_Re_Digital_CDI_01.thumb.jpg.a29435

4. Adjustable - OEM GY6 A/C CDI. This CDI has OEM curve that is adjustable by the end userADJUSTABLE_CDI_AC.thumb.jpg.0267017215f7

5. Casoli CDI - A/C - Extreme High Quality. No Rev Limit, Advanced curve, Aluminum housing - Heavy Duty 

Cassoli_CDI_AC_Racing_High_Quality.thumb

6.) POSH racing CDI  Unlimited, Anodized Alum Housing - Mapped for top end, Extreme race. 

Posh_CDI_.thumb.jpg.ab9fec79fabb4fc4bd68

7. NIBBI Performance A/C - (D/C capable) CDI - Unlimited (Picture not actual) ... *Note This is a brand new CDI I just got in stock and know very little about.... I do know it's top shelf, quality stuff. It requires running a 12 volt wire. 

NIBBI_performance_Unlimited_CDI.thumb.JP

And I have one more coming that does in fact stand out on it's own.

This will require running a 12 volt wire also.... 

Here's the manufacturer info 

Ban Jing High Performance Microchip Programmed CDI/Coil for use on 50cc-500cc, 4-stroke Scooters.
Ignite your vehicle's true performance potential! This High Performance CDI/Coil gives stronger ignition/firing, a more complete combustion burn (more power, better fuel mileage and reduced emissions), quick acceleration and increased horsepower!

Installation is Easy:

Connect red wire to 12 volt switched source (DC) 
Connect black wire to ground
Connect blue wire to the signal pulse of the stator (alternator)
CDI body can be easily mounted to the frame

Stronger Ignition/Firing
More Complete Combustion Burn (more power, better fuel mileage & reduced emissions)
Quick Acceleration
Increased Horsepower

Ban_Jing_Microchip_CDI-Coil.jpg

CDI_Collection_03.jpg

Ban_Jing_Microchip_CDI-Coil_02.JPG

Ban_Jing_Microchip_CDI-Coil_03.JPG

Posted

Some Nifty looking CDI's

Anxious to see/hear some test results 

Posted

I'd like to adapt a true advancing curve cdi to the Stella ,,,Tasso has a plate to mount the pickup with slots so you can set time advanced to run better high rpm but suffers on low rpm and trailing throttle

Posted

Some Nifty looking CDI's

Anxious to see/hear some test results 

I have been struggling to find a way to make a good video...

One of the CDI's in the above pics is a fully programmable unit, but that's not it's best feature, it has an induction line for wrapping around the coil to map the ignition curve of ANY CDI. The cool thing about this CDI mapping utility is that I can display the info in real time on a PC. 

I have not used this type of CDI yet and there's going to be a learning curve but I think this will be my best bet... I'll be able to demonstrate in real time, each CDI's curve and some other features.... I'm just so always pressed for time that the "projects" always seem to get shelved lately...

I need a nice long vacation :thinking:

Posted

I have been struggling to find a way to make a good video...

One of the CDI's in the above pics is a fully programmable unit, but that's not it's best feature, it has an induction line for wrapping around the coil to map the ignition curve of ANY CDI. The cool thing about this CDI mapping utility is that I can display the info in real time on a PC. 

I have not used this type of CDI yet and there's going to be a learning curve but I think this will be my best bet... I'll be able to demonstrate in real time, each CDI's curve and some other features.... I'm just so always pressed for time that the "projects" always seem to get shelved lately...

I need a nice long vacation :thinking:

That's pretty cool it maps it out!!! I've been looking for a reliable map. There is a cdi I've had my eye on that isn't in the gy6 market that you can program every point in rpms. 

Posted

I have the blue one . its worked just fine for the past 4 years . john thinks that its what's causing my starter clutch issue. Not sure about that ? Yes my first stock one messed up " well not completely " it was just making some weird noise after about 3 years of working properly with that cdi. The ncy just blew apart ! No clue why . he thinks the advanced timing is the cause , but many others use them and k don't hear of the starter clutch issue.

Posted (edited)

I have the blue one . its worked just fine for the past 4 years . john thinks that its what's causing my starter clutch issue...... he thinks the advanced timing is the cause ,

I've actually never thought about this before.....  But John could in fact, be correct. It's a good theory at least... :thinking: 

Some of these aftermarket CDI's have a very aggressive start angle that causes the starting RPM's to increase.... This will put more stress on the starter clutch.....

Edited by DMartin95

Posted

C'mon gang, gimme some ideas... How should I do a video.... What do you all want to see? Should I do Individual Videos for each item or a video explain the functions? 

I need some ideas (practical ones :rofl2: ) 

Posted (edited)

C'mon gang, gimme some ideas... How should I do a video.... What do you all want to see? Should I do Individual Videos for each item or a video explain the functions? 

I need some ideas (practical ones :rofl2: ) 

OK Dan here is my suggestion......

1. Explain how the A/C vs DC both differ in operation, is one necessarily better than the other, any situations that would be better for one over the other?
  2. Regular and advance timing benefits and disadvantages
  3. Show advance timing options of an adjustable dial CDI and Programmable CDI(Separate video will be needed I would think)
  4. What makes a good CDI
  5. What types to stay away from(I have read in several, more than several, reviews to stay away from the blue boxes with the wires hanging out)
  6. Most importantly what it does in the system

Here is a pic I got from a forum that shows the insides, not sure how accurate but still good for someone who can understand electronics.

GY6CDIs.thumb.jpg.5a6c1f843e0e18f46c0b28

Edited by BLK8WDW
1 person likes this

Posted

wondering if this video been made yet? mainly i wanted to know how to tell if i have a AC or DC system?

Posted

wondering if this video been made yet? mainly i wanted to know how to tell if i have a AC or DC system?

No, I never wound up making a video yet......  If you get me a pic of your CDI, I'll tell ya what ya have. Or, actually, just gimme the measurements. 

Posted

No, I never wound up making a video yet......  If you get me a pic of your CDI, I'll tell ya what ya have. Or, actually, just gimme the measurements. 

ill have to get a pic tomorrow. but its a larger one  with the 2 plug side containing only 1 wire coming from it. other side has 4. The research I found indicates that usually means its a DC unit. However the new DC CDI that I have does not fire the bike up. Is it possible that its AC with only the 1 wire? When I put the original back in it fires right up. Or could this be a special kind of set up that requires a certain CDI? The original seems to have no restrictions seeing that I have had the chinometer at 75MPH with RPM to go. I know that the meter is off a bit. still breaking in the new engine so I don't want to push it quite yet. but this 155cc 4 valve set up with high flow intake and exhaust is quite powerful. still working on getting the carb dialed in since I'm still learning about it. currently running all stock with a 108 main jet, I think its running lean though. went to a 112 and 115( all I could find local shops) and it bogged out at 20-30 MPH. soon as taxes come in I want to redo the whole CVT next, so I will need some advice on a set up to purchase, but Ill put that in another thread when the time comes. 

Posted

if it helps to tell.. I have a 12 pole stator as well..  and if its was the wrong CDI did I mess it up by trying to start the bike up with it installed? cuz if its the wrong one id like to try and resell it as long as I didn't fry it...its the orange DC CDI like the AC one u have in a pic above

Posted

if it helps to tell.. I have a 12 pole stator as well..  and if its was the wrong CDI did I mess it up by trying to start the bike up with it installed? cuz if its the wrong one id like to try and resell it as long as I didn't fry it...its the orange DC CDI like the AC one u have in a pic above

The GY6 12-pole stator is a DC stator. 

Posted

The GY6 12-pole stator is a DC stator. 

that's what I thought too.. plus all the signs of it say DC. but I have 2 of the orange DC CDI's both in the box labeled DC.. and neither of them fire the bike up. battery is brand new lithium 12 volt 7 amp. but when I put the stock CDI back in it fires right up? any one know whats going on with this? also running the orange coil and iridium plug.. is there any way I fried the CDI's? im very confused!

Posted

that's what I thought too.. plus all the signs of it say DC. but I have 2 of the orange DC CDI's both in the box labeled DC.. and neither of them fire the bike up. battery is brand new lithium 12 volt 7 amp. but when I put the stock CDI back in it fires right up? any one know whats going on with this? also running the orange coil and iridium plug.. is there any way I fried the CDI's? im very confused!

Based on what you're telling me, I would say the label is wrong on the box....  The ones in the pics above are AC, are yours the same size? (use the plug/connector as a frame of reference).....

An AC and a DC are different in size (in most all cases).... 

The only way I can help and eliminate the guesswork is if you upload pictures of what you have (the CDI's new and old).... Pictures with dimensions will work best... If you can also get pics of your CDI connector, I can provide a slam dunk answer for ya...

Posted

Based on what you're telling me, I would say the label is wrong on the box....  The ones in the pics above are AC, are yours the same size? (use the plug/connector as a frame of reference).....

An AC and a DC are different in size (in most all cases).... 

The only way I can help and eliminate the guesswork is if you upload pictures of what you have (the CDI's new and old).... Pictures with dimensions will work best... If you can also get pics of your CDI connector, I can provide a slam dunk answer for ya...

it looks just like the orange CDI u have in pic above. also the same orange coil i bet as well. i bought them a while back from scrappydog and from there site the AC and DC look identical. they sent me the 1st and i called back saying i think they sent me AC by accident thinking box was miss labeled. they sent me another for free letting me keep both and again box labeled DC. I read on there forum that they had issues with another type of scooter where the CDI's were not compatible for some reason. im thinking maybe my brand scooter may as well have the same CDI set up as that post i read.  its a 2012 Lintex 150cc with hunter style chassis. i bought it used with allegedly 350 miles on it from craigs list. im hoping that i didnt burn the CDI's since i prolly cant return them seeing that its been a while and they sent me another free already. hoping there still well and i can sell em on ebay or trade em.  dimensions are 3" x 1.5" x 1"  and look just like your orange one above. plugs the same too.

ill do pics tomorrow since i have day off from work and its late now. thanks for looking into this with me... 

Posted

Typical Stock DC, CDI is 82mm x 49mm x 25mm  ... AC CDI is 65mm x 37mm x 23mm

Posted

Typical Stock DC, CDI is 82mm x 49mm x 25mm  ... AC CDI is 65mm x 37mm x 23mm

20160309_195230.thumb.jpg.7cfa8f2c2f10dd

20160309_195131.jpg

The orange one is the second DC cdi they sent me. The black one is stock. The measurement I gave u last post was the new orange one. They don't work on my system but i really think it's a DC system. The stock one has no Rev limit that I can see since I have got the bike at 80mph with potential for higher on the chinometer. 

Posted

Heya Bub,

Without a doubt, your stock CDI is DC. No question about it. 

That Orange CDI looks like it's an A/C CDI. It looks too small...  I have never seen a DC CDI that small, and I have seen A LOT of them. 

But take note, Scrappydogs is an honest business and if they're selling AC CDI's, as DC units, it's a listing error or bad info provided to them. You may want to contact them again and explain the scenario. 

Posted

Heya Bub,

Without a doubt, your stock CDI is DC. No question about it. 

That Orange CDI looks like it's an A/C CDI. It looks too small...  I have never seen a DC CDI that small, and I have seen A LOT of them. 

But take note, Scrappydogs is an honest business and if they're selling AC CDI's, as DC units, it's a listing error or bad info provided to them. You may want to contact them again and explain the scenario. 

thhats what I been think since the package came the 1st time.. called them and they shipped out the same thing again letting me keep both. both don't work so I read some forums where there is a DC system that these do not work on and require a special type CDI... was thinking that this is one of them. my stock has no rev limit to my knowledge so would I even get any extra performance form another brand CDI if I find one that works on my scoot? I ordered it when I got my engine parts so before I could only go 55-60 MPH on the stock gauge. now she goes 75-80 MPH on same gauge and I feel once tuned proper she can go faster. once I do my last break in oil change to synthetic im gonna open her all the way and see how fast I can go. I gave the 5 MPH gap cuz I feel she is off by like 5 - 7 MPH on the stock gauge.  do u sell any DC CDI that u think would work and make a difference for my set up?

maybe I can sell both the orange ones and make my money back. there is no way I could have fried them by trying them on my bike?