New SMAX XC155 in Taiwan

138 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone I'm an Expat living in Taiwan - a scooter kind of country.  I came across this web site looking for some information about a specific part I was considering getting worked on.  I just picked up an SMAX 155 about a month ago to replace a Cygnus, though you all might be interested in a photo or two.  I will follow up with a list of mods I've had done so far.

Cheers,

Toby

_XT16103.jpg

_XT16119.jpg

_XT16120.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Chicken Parts complete clutch, CTV, rollers etc.  Did not use the rollers that came in the kit, the shop picked (and individually weighed) a different set by NCY I think.

Bando Racing belt.

Liang Huei Racing stator rotor.  Wanted to drop weight sitting on the drive shaft.

Hammer Manual Factory fork rebuild (upper assembly, seals).  I don't know about the older SMAX, but mine was way too stiff up front.  Wouldn't work it's way out.  Found Hammer was making an aftermarket upgrade that keeps your stock lowers, had it put on.  Still stiff, but much better.  

Doghouse tidy tail with LED plate light.  I love keeping mud off my back but the stock flap reminded me of tuxedo tails from the 70s.  The doghouse offering was more than KOSOs but I liked it better so I went for it.

Koso rear mud guard.  Big enough to fix 140s.  Why Yamaha didn't include a tire cover with the bike is beyond me.

Simota air filter.  Just the engine air, not the drivetrain.

Koso front axle slider.  Got them in black.

J&S Mid body slider.  Got them in black and silver.

NCY passenger pegs.  I put these on.  The peg housing is held together with 3 phillips head screws, small ones, and they used red locktite.  Not easy to take apart.  Needless to say I got new screws for assembly.

MOS radiator screen.  Freebie from the shop that put in the Koso temp gauge.

K&S Carbon/Alu ignition cover.  Just for show, doesn't really add any performance to the bike.

Koso inline radiator temp gauge.  They come in red or blue, I got red.

Dream Base adjustable reach/length brake levers.  

RPM grips.  These are awesome, you can easily replace just the rubber part.

I forget who makes the mirrors....the stock mirrors were like 8x10 paper on long sticks.

Koso full 63mm kit (piston, cylinder, throttle body, injection jet, intake hose and cam).  By all estimates this makes it a 180cc.

Bridgestone Battlax SC, front size stock rear size 140.  Wanted a bit bigger (taller) tire for the rear.  Stock rubber here in Taiwan was Kenda or Maxxis, I do not remember which.  Hard as hell, bumpy as hell and had no grip.  I slid three times (ok once was on purpose).  I have always preferred good soft Bridgestone tires anyway so I swapped these out.

I did not replace the pipe or muffler yet.  Every speed head kid here replaces pipes early on simply to add noise and cool factor, so there are so many pipes to choose from it will take me some research to come up with the right choice.  

1 person likes this

Posted

K&S Carbon/Alu ignition cover.  Just for show, doesn't really add any performance to the bike.

Koso inline radiator temp gauge.  They come in red or blue, I got red.

Dream Base adjustable reach/length brake levers.  

grips.  These are awesome, you can easily replace just the rubber part.

I forget who makes the mirrors....the stock mirrors were like 8x10 paper on long sticks.

Koso full 63mm kit (piston, cylinder, throttle body, injection jet, intake hose and cam).  By all estimates this makes it a 180cc.

Bridgestone Battlax SC, front size stock rear size 140.  Wanted a bit bigger (taller) tire for the rear.  Stock rubber here in Taiwan was Kenda or Maxxis, I do not remember which.  Hard as hell, bumpy as hell and had no grip.  I slid three times (ok once was on purpose).  I have always preferred good soft Bridgestone tires anyway so I swapped these out.

I did not replace the pipe or muffler yet.  Every speed head kid here replaces pipes early on simply to add noise and cool facto

WOW now that's a serious laundry list of mods!!!! It was already a nice machine,,,,one of the very best being made ,,,welcome to the forum

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I too ride an SMAX.... I purchased 2 of them last year and couldn't be happier, it's my daily driver. 

The American version also has KENDA, they suck... I too replaced mine. 

So what kind of gains did you get from 63mm BBK? And did you upgrade the camshaft as well? If so, any tapping (irregular valve lift causing a "tap" sound)???

I also got a 63mm Big bore kit but haven't installed it... In addition to a lack of time for personal projects, I've had a hard time installing it cause my SMAX already runs so good...

Anyhow, really great job with all the mods! :ok: 

1 person likes this

Posted

- My initial take on the SMAX was Yamaha made yet another great engine, but this time they toned it way down in order to get good MPG/KPL out of a heavy bike.  Oh, and the tires suck.  I know, those are drive-home tires.  I slid 3 times and decided I would prefer to leave rubber on the road not skin so softer tires were in order.

- Stopped by a rather large bike shop and told the mechs there the bike was too slow.  They gutted the drivetrain and that made a huge difference in performance.  MPG went down, bad tires were now a bit dangerous and the front end suspension brick was much more noticeable.  

The KOSO kit contained the cylinder, piston, cam, injector, throttle body, air intake supply hose and manifold all of which are larger than stock.  I have not had it on long enough to give it 100% thumbs up but so far while breaking it in on mountain roads I'm quite pleased.  No issues with tapping or lag.  Biggest difference I feel is a considerable increase in torque.

Once I get a chance to run it a bit more I may decide to get the brakes, rear suspension and complete exhaust replaced - it just depends on if they become weak links with the increased HP/Torque.

And I don't know if you guys know this yet, but there are at least 2 companies here that make superchargers for the SMAX.  I don't plan to do it, I actually  use this bike for getting groceries after work.  It is super cool though.....

Oh I kept almost all the original parts, if anyone wants to see photos of those out of curiosity just ask.

Posted

The KOSO kit contained the cylinder, piston, cam, injector, throttle body, air intake supply hose and manifold all of which are larger than stock.  I have not had it on long enough to give it 100% thumbs up but so far while breaking it in on mountain roads I'm quite pleased.  No issues with tapping or lag.  Biggest difference I feel is a considerable increase in torque.

The Kit I selected is one from Taida, but I suspect performance will be comparable to the the KOSO. Mine is a 63.5mm BBK.... I'll be real interested to see what kind of top speed increase you get once the break in is finished....

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the bigger throttle body and injector.... What I'm doing is using a power commander fuel controller FC22905 (Here's a link). It allows to adjust the fuel flow ramps in 3 different RPM ranges... Even allows for real time (on the fly) adjustments... Without altering fuel ramps, I'm not sure how much of a gain you would get with a bigger throttle body and injector...

2653.jpg

Did you have all the mods done at once? 

My Plan is to do it in phases... BBK and fuel controller first,... Measure performance then move on to the CVT.... Like you, I'm going to wait on the exhaust and see if even need it... I'm installing an o2 gauge... It already has the sensor....

--------------------------------

If you have stock pics of the cylinder head and piston, I'd love it if you would share....  :ok:  

Posted

I did it in phases, mostly because I had to go to different shops for different things and my free time can be sucked up by work on most days.  I asked about the fuel controller and they said the current SMAX cannot use one.  I asked three shops and got the same answer, not sure why.  Here are some mobile phone photos of the original parts which were changed around the 500 km mark.

20160731_202355.jpg

20160731_202334.jpg

20160731_202338.jpg

20160731_202347.jpg

20160731_202355.jpg

20160731_202406.jpg

20160731_202410.jpg

20160731_202414.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome Toby

Hey, Great pics of the hard parts. keep them coming.

From the pc the piston looks to have normal wear and carbon type deposits.

What kind of oil and gas do you use?

:ok:

Edited by pistonguy

Posted

For gas I use what they call 95 here but I do not think it is the same as 95 octane in the US.  They have 92, 95 and 98.  The manual suggest 92 or 95 - but at the gas stations here the pumps for two wheels are all just 95.  The oil was factory until 300 km.  Yamaha provides the initial 3 changes free at 300, 1000 and 2000 and I would have to assume they use Yamalube dinosaur juice - I wasn't paying attention.  I got the oil changed by the shop at 300 km and then started brainstorming what I wanted to do to the bike.  After the 2000 km mark I will probably switch to Maxima SynBlend 4 due to the fact I use it in other bikes and I'm happy with it.

Posted

I did it in phases,

I asked about the fuel controller and they said the current SMAX cannot use one.  I asked three shops and got the same answer, not sure why.  

What kind of gains did you get from your CVT?

BTW, There could be some regional difference in our S Max's....

I know the U.S. edition has a closed loop fuel circuit, meaning - it reads input from the air intake and exhaust gasses and the ECU uses that data to determine how much fuel it supplies... In the U.S, they're all about emission and fuel economy and blah blah, so the fuel maps are not so great if you're looking for best performance (as far speed)....  So, there could be a regional difference why the mech's said you can't use a FC.... 

The power commander FC I linked is practically plug n play... Very simple to hook up.... Did you download the instructions?

Thanks for sharing the pics... I missed that you didn't swap out the head...  The BBK I have has a cylinder head too but I can't for the life of me figure out how I would adjust the valves... Probably need a specialty Yamaha tool.

Posted

BTW, got a link to the S Max supercharger?

Posted

For gas I use what they call 95 here but I do not think it is the same as 95 octane in the US.  They have 92, 95 and 98.  The manual suggest 92 or 95 - but at the gas stations here the pumps for two wheels are all just 95.  The oil was factory until 300 km.  Yamaha provides the initial 3 changes free at 300, 1000 and 2000 and I would have to assume they use Yamalube dinosaur juice - I wasn't paying attention.  I got the oil changed by the shop at 300 km and then started brainstorming what I wanted to do to the bike.  After the 2000 km mark I will probably switch to Maxima SynBlend 4 due to the fact I use it in other bikes and I'm happy with it.

Ah Maxima oil, I'm a big fan of there products.  High end, small batch, extreme quality oil's

Maxima has entered the high end Automotive synthetic market, very fine product.

I enhoy thee pruduct in my CBR and my poked and stroked small block chevy.

Many NASCAR teams here in NC use the product.

Posted

Ah Maxima oil, I'm a big fan of there products.  High end, small batch, extreme quality oil's

Maxima has entered the high end Automotive synthetic market, very fine product.

I enhoy thee pruduct in my CBR and my poked and stroked small block chevy.

Many NASCAR teams here in NC use the product.

10 years or so back the Ducati shop near my house got me on to their chain wax, I use it on my motorcycles and mountain bikes.  Awesome stuff.

The shop that I have been getting my latest mods done for the SMAX likes Motul, they have two types in large drums.  Locals call it "God's Oil", might give it a try. 

Posted

The new exhaust 

20160802_195555-01.jpeg

20160802_195705-01.jpeg

I also got pre-drilled caliper bolts, oil check/fill and one pivot bolt (to run the oil fill bolt wire to).  Will wire it up when I get a chance.

2 people like this

Posted

NICE SYSTEM!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

I really like that exhaust!!!!! :rockon:  How does it sound?

BTW, That supercharger is cool but the price is insane.... It's over 6 grand US.... I could almost buy 2 S Max's for that much money.... :thinking: But it is cool.....

However, The Smax Pics are great, the exhaust Pics are great, The super charger pics are great.... But the greatest of all I've seen because of you.....

This one is nice :Hitit: 

2243325ob554hh50o3m3so.jpg.thumb.jpg

Posted

- With the current exchange rate the supercharger installed is just over 1400 USD.  

- If that model wants to pose on my bike I am available anytime, any day, anywhere.

- I will post a vid of the bike sound with and without the db killer.  I've only run it with the db killer and it isn't bad at all, not too loud.  

Posted

Thats a really nice set-up,  I must say.

Suspension looks plush,   ride's nice?

Posted

The stock front had a lack of speedy rebound so the travel compressed and stayed there making a fast ride real bumpy.  I got the guts changed out.  The rear is ok, it doesn't bother me.  The most popular rear replacement is the RPM GII Max, it is a bit pricey at around 560 USD:

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/【AETH】RPM-GII-MAX-S-MAX-專用掛瓶後避震器-中置避震-b101982621

rpm.jpg

Posted

- With the current exchange rate the supercharger installed is just over 1400 USD.  

- If that model wants to pose on my bike I am available anytime, any day, anywhere.

- I will post a vid of the bike sound with and without the db killer.  I've only run it with the db killer and it isn't bad at all, not too loud.  

When I click on the sales page for the super charger, it says cost 45000 Yaun and Google's currency converter says that around $6000. Is the price of 45000 Yaun correct or is Google translate having a fit? 

$1400 installed, do you know how much it is if I install it myself?

Posted (edited)

When I click on the sales page for the super charger, it says cost 45000 Yaun and Google's currency converter says that around $6000. Is the price of 45000 Yaun correct or is Google translate having a fit? 

$1400 installed, do you know how much it is if I install it myself?

Chinese Yuan is not the same money or exchange rate as New Taiwan Dollar.  1 USD = 31.47 NTD right now, the rate has gone down a little since my last post so right now it is 1429 USD.   It 1271 USD to install yourself.

Edited by Toby
1 person likes this

Posted

When I get back from my trip at the end of the month I am going to order an aRacer RCMini+ ECU, A MINI tune real time tuner and a wideband AFR sensor and module.  

Vid with Chinese audio but English subs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7_cKX5gdg

325f3852-dd02-45de-a212-dc31698b9ffd.jpg

12b9b56a-160e-40e0-a060-c41ce6c53d63.jpg

c2e7b243-edeb-43af-9702-999b4ca1975b.jpg

Posted

Wow. Awesome set up. Thanks for sharing. Would love to know what's top speed now on flats.