Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Gearing

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Emailing jtgearratio.pdf

Dan see if you can upload this link and share as a picture post? I can't do it from my ohone.

If not I can try and do it from my PC when I get home

Posted

This is some good info here bubs, one thing to also note is the size of the rear wheel, smaller rear wheel/tire will result in higher overall gear ratio (more acceleration) while larger wheel/tire combos will produce lower gear ratio (more top speed). So if you got a 13" rim and drop to a 10" rim (not sure why people do this but I think its for the fat tire thing) you will increase the final gear ration and therefore gain some acceleration and lose a bit of top speed. Also keep in mind that its all about diameters, even though everyone does it based on gear teeth it boils down to the diameter of the meshing gears.

Posted

gear_ratio_01.JPG

gear_ratio_02.JPG

Posted (edited)

Found that and thought someone may find it helpful.

Also I should add I believe changing tire size and gear? Will affect your speedo?

And yeah u can't run a fatty on a gy6 with out going to a 12inch wheel. For there u can go 12 x 7

Edited by bubsoxs

Posted

A 150/70 13 will not fit either with out modification.. and that still will run to tight and I didn't feel comfortable accelerating hard at higher speeds.

Posted (edited)

Here's a tire size calculator. I've found it handy. Since most speedometers run off of the front wheel, the revolutions per mile  can be used to correct speedometer error to some effect.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Edited by minimac

Posted

Question for you guys, are the gears for the 50cc engines and the 125/150 engines the same?

I ask because I saw a youtube video for 49ccscoot and realized his transmisson case was similar to mine and comes off on the wheel side instead of the cvt side. 

Dan can you confirm this if possible please. 

For anyone who has a 50cc with gears out can you please take measurements of the gears in the transmission, I will be able to compare gear spacing and know if I can use those for my build.

Thanks in advance to everyone