CPI Oliver 125 Mods

356 posts in this topic

Posted

Eagerly waiting results .

btw, what gas as in Octane and % of Eth if any is in the Scoot?

Posted

Me ,at home run 91 octane no eth, mine runs great on that, in Arizona everything has eth. Sucks, bike just not run as good for sure.be interesting to see what he's running.

Posted

We have 93 octane standard, and 95 as our premium. The combination of the two timing advances was a bit too much. I could hear her knock and ping once the rpm increased and the highest advance on the cdi came on. I pulled back some timing on the pickup coil this morning and it seems to like it. I have to fill up today so I'll buy some premium fuel and throw the timing back in. It takes me less than two minutes to make the timing change. To adjust the timing using the crankshaft key take less than 5 mins, once I have my tools. The engine responds well at lower and midrange with the timing increase. I think the best option would be to get a proper programmable cdi and make a nice curve.

Posted

Hey guys, I pulled the from the crank key and added back the timing from the pickup coil. No more knock. Its funny when we use the term knock, cause it sounds almost like a low crackle, anyway will let you guys know what I do next. This weekend I have ti install a homemade fixture to replace the kick start stop for the transmission. It literally ripped right out the case. I tried expoying it back in place and it held for about 2 months. The plan is to do a bolted sumtin sumtin to stop the kic starter cam. left uncontrolled, it allows the secondary gear to over spin and not reset, rendering the mechanism useless, ask me how I know. 

Posted

Try JB weld it's like epoxy but holds way better.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'll give that a shot Fidy, I normally ensure I do good surface prep so the bond is good. 

Posted

You can machine that JB, its great stuff...

Posted

I wanna see a timing light on her for that visual.

Posted

Got damn, its been a while and I have done some poo. trying to wrap up work and do some business on the side has stripped my time to a minimum. I grenaded a belt on the highway doing about 125km/hr. Was on a long downhill. lets pull back 2 days before. I took a head from a 125cc engine, ported it and matched the intake and exhaust. just blending etc. The valves are much smaller and I dont care. the valves also sit closer to the piston and I rushed the job. started it and slapped the poo out of the piston with the exhaust valve. No worries, I just pulled it back down and shaved her some clearance. Valve didn't bend and it was back together. I unshrouded the valves to try to maximize the flow and ease the compression. It knocked once the CDI brought in timing so I limped to the gas station and poured a full bottle of octane booster and topped up with 95. Gave it a little jiggle and went on my first group ride. I dont have a working speedo on my scoot so I sometimes us the gps on my phone. I have realized that it isn't calibrated well and alomst all the times in a number of vehicles reads 8-15km/hr low. Anyway, we hit the southern highways and my buddy had his water cooled 150cc scooter CPI GTR with 17" wheels. He normally hits 135-140km/hr at the top. we had a few fun runs, I thought he was pulling back and later found out he was flat out and I was right on him. The quickest downhill run we did he said he hit 145 and I was next to him, so I'd call that a good 130-135 for me safely. The engine did ping with the excessive rpm on the downhill runs, so I had to pull back. Man it was fun, the guys with the bigger bikes were amazed that we picked up and moved like we did. I did pull the silencer from my can to lean out the mixture, I know I am normally rich at the top. I had to leave the group to head back home and fragmented the belt on a downhill, i didn't take into consideration the amount of heat and abuse the belt took on the way down. Futhermore I previously abused the belt by using a NCY non-fan fixed variator face and over heated the belt. This more than likely lead to the failure. Anyway, it briefly locked the back tire until it was able to shred the belt and free wheel. It was definitely a skid mark worthy moment, lol. 

Had to get her home on a van and changed the belt out for  a Gates. The belt was less than 5 months old Bando brand. But I ride everyday, so I know its my own fault. PS dont be like me. So even now the higher compression engine is soo much more enjoyable in the mid range. I can still kick start it. I did fabricate and install a new kick start stop, since I broke the old one off the case.

I have pictures of everything, I'll try to upload later tonight. Even with a full tank of 95 I cant run up in the rpm's without spark knocking. It doesn't matter right now cause I am stil able to pull up to 110-115 without knocking. I just have to be really careful with the throttle. I will try to get some video and sound of it for you all to hear. I also sent a 150 head to the machine shop and got it shaved a few thou to raise compression while still having the big valves for better flow. will see how that turns out. The goal is to find a good balance of compression and performance without reaching the limits of knock and fuel. I'm also trying to get a water injection system to help with the knock up at the top, but I dont want to get too complicated. we dont have E85 and methanol is expensive down here. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Great write bud, seems like your heading in the right direction, Snow performance use to build a water injection kit for my Cummins diesel, read lots about it but never did it, I was interested as it dropped exhaust temperature when towing and pouring more fuel to it, egt, s are a killer on diesels.

Posted

Great Post by. looking forward to the pictures:ok:

Posted

ok so the site won't let me upload any photos no matter what I try, tried from my phone, uploaded to my pc, sent in emails.... nothing will let me upload. I'll try again later

Posted

just went out for a frickin fun run around the savannah and blew the cvt apart. And today is the last day of work for the year. Lesson here, don't relieve the ramps in the variator too much, lol especially if you have one that doesn't follow the roller/slider to the end of the travel.

Posted

Down loading pic's if there not JPG. They won't load for me either. Just a heads up. How much damage did the implosion do.

Posted

Down loading pic's if there not JPG. They won't load for me either. Just a heads up. How much damage did the implosion do.

Not too sure how much damage as yet unitl I get it apart, I'm seeing shards of variator fan coming out the back. I also windowed the clutch to try to get some more cooling of the cvt. I'm 100% sure at least the sliders ejected, I also cut a mini window under the vartiator, I can see a slider through the cut out. I'll get her back together by tonight. Doesn't seem that I added a window in the engine case which is good, so I'm sure I can fix the CVT.

Posted

just went out for a frickin fun run around the savannah and blew the cvt apart. And today is the last day of work for the year. Lesson here, don't relieve the ramps in the variator too much, lol especially if you have one that doesn't follow the roller/slider to the end of the travel.

Fkn awsome bcy!:ok:

I wanna see the bamage

Posted

Sooo hmmm, not sure how to say this. I couldn’t get a photo so here is a video. Anyone want to take a shot of what caused the failure lmao. With the increase in rpm, im pretty sure the stock crank couldn’t take it. Well now I can get a striker crank. 

56704056815__2ACB5EA6-2117-45A8-90FA-6FAABC48E9D7.MOV

Posted

Whoa! Thank for the shout out brother but, WHOA!

What kind of grinding did you hear when that thing broke?

Is that a total engine replacement? Hopefully not!

Nice to hear the voice of one of my biggest supporters!

Posted

Man I knew something cut loose cause I heard it tearing itself apart. After seeing the failure I realize I underestimated two things, the first being having the crank unsupported with the weight of the variator assembly, additionally don’t know why I never thought about the lateral load the shifting of the variator causes on the crankshaft when the belt pushes on the fixed face, until it slides up. I have to do a few more videos for you guys. 

Whoa! Thank for the shout out brother but, WHOA!

What kind of grinding did you hear when that thing broke?

Is that a total engine replacement? Hopefully not!

Nice to hear the voice of one of my biggest supporters!

I should be able to change the crank, so I’m looking at either getting a 2.2, 4, or 6 over stroker crank. The issue will still stand with the lack of support, but I’m pretty sure rpm has a lot more to do with the failure than the lateral loading of the crank. I’ll probably do a bearing surrport with an extension on the nut or something to control the free end of the crank. 

Posted

This is very similar to my race Kart set-up, a Yamaha KT100 piston port, it has the Horseman 6 spring clutch with the outboard crank support, this one has a roller bearing, mine used oil-lite bronze bushing ..

Posted

001.jpg

I saw a vendor a few months ago that offered a ankle biter with a Vari support similar to what you see on the Yam KT-100 above, but I can't find it now:banghead:

1 person likes this

Posted

That pretty much did the whole job, what a mess. Guess you know what not to do next time.

Posted

Thats one awesome grenade job bcy..

Those go on the wall of fame as offerings to the God of Speed...

I think we should start some award program or something for the best Grenade, you the winner so far...

Posted

That pretty much did the whole job, what a mess. Guess you know what not to do next time.

it’s all good Fidy, this is all a part of finding weak links and ways to improve. I’m lucky I don’t run one of those ankle biter type things, that could have ejected in any direction. 

Thats one awesome grenade job bcy..

Those go on the wall of fame as offerings to the God of Speed...

I think we should start some award program or something for the best Grenade, you the winner so far...

I’ll be keeping this trophy for sure. 

This gives me a chance to run an engine I got a while ago. A beast of an engine from our good friend Dan, the NCY engine. I was able to buy it when he liquidated. I have to check the piston to valve clearance to be sure we are good to go, but as it stands now there is no binding, but as rpm increases we all know what happens. 

Dan I’ll do my best not to grenade this engine.