And so it begins

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Yup running rich with the elevation,  have to lean out the jets in the carb for sure, that's where fuel injection is way better for elevation changes, might be an idea to have 2 carbs, one for sea level and one for the higher elevation,  might be easier than re jetting all the time.

Posted

Actually, this is not excess gas but oil. I cannot figure out how it is getting in. I guess I can start with putting some gasoline in the cylinder head's combustion chamber when it is upside down and see if any comes out from someplace. I would think that if it was leakage from a gasket between the head and cylinder, it would also be leaking out of the engine, but there were no external leaks. . Beyond that, the only thing else I can see would be leaking past the oil ring. Any other ideas?

Posted

I don't know if it's just the pic, the one looking down at the piston in the barrel but looks like the barrel is out of round, may blowing oil past the rings, hard to tell, do the head test first, check the valve guides.

Posted

Definitely wet. sounds like she just fouls plugs in short order from being so rich.

I see crosshatch all the way around the bore so I don't see a problem there,

If your thinking its Oil does it puff oil smoke when you get it running?

I would be of help if I knew what pilot and main jet number you started with and were it is at now, I would venture to guess you will need to lean both the Pilot and Main by numbers from stock and change the Needle clip position by two..

Posted

I did not see oil smoke, but the tail pipe is definitely black. We are starting to get into the Christmas Holiday seasons with all of the related activities so I will most likely be slow to respond with actions. Thanks for the responses. John.

PS I went to my bookmarks for Dan's parts but it looks like the website no longer exist, does his parts site still exist or has the site been moved?

Posted

He's moved to Florida and closed the store, he will only keep this site open if we use it. 

Posted

I have gone through everything and I do not see anything that looks to be causing the issue. The valve guides do not leak, cylinder walls look good, so I am now thinking it might have been a carb float issue (way too rich to be just jets). Bottom line, I need to put the engine back together and I will be needing some gaskets. Since Dan is no longer in the parts business, can anyone recommend a supplier that handles quality parts?

Posted

The excessive full slobber will loosen crap in the pipe making things look like Oil coming out. put her back together.

partsforscooters.com

I'm having issues coping and pasting the link...

I have had seller service from these fine folks at Parts for Scooters..

http://www.partsforscooters.com