Crankcase Vent Question

4 posts in this topic

Posted

The buggy that I have been working on had (to me) a non-standard type of EGR system. I have deleted this EGR setup, and now I have a two fold question. The first is the crankcase vent. Originally, it went to a type of plastic canister that was also connected to the fresh air box and the exhaust. I would like for some feedback as to how and where to connect this hose (see picture below) to protect it from the elements. My thoughts were to get a 70's / 80's style PVC valve and  then connect that to the air box. This way any fumes would be inhaled into the engine and burned up during combustion. Any thoughts?

Second question is what to do with the vent line for the gas tank. I could connect it to a spare port on the fresh air box, but I am worried about a back fire and fuel fumes converging in the air box. Anyone thought about a air bubbler filter like that which would be used on a fish tank?

Crankcase Vent Hose.jpg

Posted

To the first question, The crankcase vent only has one function, to vent excessive crankcase pressure..... Just route the house so it's away from your engine... Only thing that should come out is an occasional oil vapor-mist, if it's excessive, the typical fix is an oil catch can..... But do not install anything that creates a back pressure, it must remain vented....

Take note though, in every single instance I have came across in where an Oil catch can is actually accumulating a decent amount of oil, the engine needed repair... As you may imagine, excess crankcase pressure is not good. 

As to the gas tank vent, you may want to install a check valve, but really, you need nothing more than a small rubber hose that directs any overflow/spillage away from your ride..... 

Posted

Thanks for your  response. John

Posted

I tried the old school pcv. The one that just looks like a hose fitting at both ends. Failed!!! Horribly! I also tried the fish tank bubbler that someone recommended. That required too much pressure to actually release the lower pressure in the case. To fix it without the oil catch can, I ran it open. Run it up and somewhere it has NO access to water. You should have a low spot to act as a P trap at the bottom to prevent moisture from getting in.

The buggy that I have been working on had (to me) a non-standard type of EGR system. I have deleted this EGR setup, and now I have a two fold question. The first is the crankcase vent. Originally, it went to a type of plastic canister that was also connected to the fresh air box and the exhaust. I would like for some feedback as to how and where to connect this hose (see picture below) to protect it from the elements. My thoughts were to get a 70's / 80's style PVC valve and  then connect that to the air box. This way any fumes would be inhaled into the engine and burned up during combustion. Any thoughts?

Second question is what to do with the vent line for the gas tank. I could connect it to a spare port on the fresh air box, but I am worried about a back fire and fuel fumes converging in the air box. Anyone thought about a air bubbler filter like that which would be used on a fish tank?

Crankcase Vent Hose.jpg