Jiajue Zuma Clone (a.k.a "JayZee")

271 posts in this topic

Posted

I like it too! 

2 people like this

Posted

So I have to change my front brake caliper + forks in order to swap the caliper to the right-hand side and the speedometer to the left (all as a result of upgrading to a 13" wheel). I have decided on the model indicated in the 1st photo for my new front caliper (in fact it arrived just yesterday) and I would like to eventually upgrade the rear caliper to match. The 2nd photo shows my current setup. The 3rd photo shows a mockup of a bracket that "appears" to fit my current situation which requires 45mm mounting point spacing on the rear swingarm. Curious about your thoughts on the matter.

Motorcycle-Front-Fork-82mm-Brake-Calipers-For-Fastace-30mm-Front-Shock-Absorber-200mm-220mm-Disc-Brake.jpg_640x640.jpg

82mm rear disk brake.1200.v2.jpg

82mm rear disk brake.1200.v1.jpg

Posted

Well back to the drawing board.

The proposed design would interfere with the right rear shock.

May just leave this alone until next year (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Posted

Were did you find this RPM calipers?

oh btw your updates are a pro show, very nice work..

Posted (edited)

Were did you find this RPM calipers?

oh btw your updates are a pro show, very nice work..

AliExpress.com -- just search for "RPM 82mm CNC caliper"...

P.S. there are several different mounting bracket options for 82mm calipers, not all of which will fit our scooters.

Edited by MJSfoto1956

Posted

I like to sit "back in the saddle" on my scooter -- cruiser style -- but given the length of my legs and the cramped angles of the floorboard/firewall my feet aren't happy either way. I've designed an angled footrest (as shown below) but am scratching my head as to what to make it out of. And cutting that compound curve could be tricky. Any ideas?

Michael

IMG_6142.2.jpg

IMG_6142.1.jpg

Posted

That might work, with my size 13 mine are kind of half on the floor and half up the front, the flat floors without the hump is nice at least you can move your feet.

Posted

Just a rough sketch as to what a future electric conversion might look like...

Keoghs singarm on zuma.v2.1024.jpg

Posted

Hahaha you come up with the neatest stuff man, so out with the 49cc and in with an electric motor, the only thing I don't like about electric, yet, weight and lack of distance you can travel.so have you committed to this concept for a future build.

Posted

Hahaha you come up with the neatest stuff man, so out with the 49cc and in with an electric motor, the only thing I don't like about electric, yet, weight and lack of distance you can travel.so have you committed to this concept for a future build.

my latest calculations suggest a top speed of around 100kph on the flats using an 8kw motor with my bike. With a 50ah battery I should be able to do 50 miles at the local speed limits nearby which is enough for my purposes. I hope to do this next year sometime.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just read an article on Scooter labs. UK, they had a vespa with electric said it did the speed ok  and around 50 miles per charge, but the faster you go drains the battery life quicker, so less mileage,  I'm still a gas guy, can't quite get my head around electric motors.

Posted (edited)

A new sibling arrive today via Craigslist to keep my petrol-sipping JayZee company: a 2017 Baodiao 72v 2000w Zuma clone. A bit abused and rusty (not uncommon for Chinese scooters here in the US). But more surprisingly, also a bit "stretched" from the original Zuma dimensions that I've come to love -- i.e. wheelbase is approximately 6 1/2" longer (see comparison photos). Seems that the Chinese like their street scooters a bit longer than the Japanese. Anyway, this bike will be my test bed for building an electric scooter worthy of eventually being my daily driver. Details to come over the next few months as I tinker with it in the basement.

Compare zumas.2.jpg

Compare zumas.1.jpg

Edited by MJSfoto1956
1 person likes this

Posted

Nice find!!

Posted

Ya is that's the pic of the actual bike, it doesn't look all that bad, this should be interesting.

Posted (edited)

Ya is that's the pic of the actual bike, it doesn't look all that bad, this should be interesting.

It is the actual bike, but I superimposed the 13" wheels from my current scooter so I could calculate the geometry differences between the two. Today I removed about ten pounds of decorative plastic from the bike as well as removed those god-awful stickers. Now it is starting to look more naked, which is in keeping with the original Zuma concept. Surprisingly, the bike has lots more storage for batteries than I originally assumed. The current swingarm will allow a 13" rim for a slightly taller tire (and consequently taller "gearing"). But I'm contemplating a 14" rim which would require a new swingarm. Decisions, decisions...

Next up: start designing an affordable lithium pack that will fit the frame space as is, and one that will allow me to travel at 55mph and 40+ miles. Going to be fun!

M

P.S. the 2nd photo is how I might treat the rear end on this bike.

IMG_6218.jpg

TB2ip4QcVXXXXavXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!449528590.jpg

Edited by MJSfoto1956

Posted

That top shock adjuster is interesting, lot going on back there, myself I'm not fussy on the way those little mini fenders look, but that's me, lots of pics bud, interesting concept. 

Posted

MJS, I'm really looking forward to this electric build, I am also thinking about making an electric scoot. I have a few frames at home. My biggest headache is getting the parts, as I have to import from the US. Do you plan to change the motor? I see you mentioned a 8Kw motor, is that whats on right now? 

Posted

MJS, I'm really looking forward to this electric build, I am also thinking about making an electric scoot. I have a few frames at home. My biggest headache is getting the parts, as I have to import from the US. Do you plan to change the motor? I see you mentioned a 8Kw motor, is that whats on right now? 

the current motor is 2000w, which is enough to go 30mph. I'm guessing 8000w is what I will need to do 55-60mph on the flats. Needless to say, I'll also need a new controller. After I get it "working" I can then start focusing on replacing the AGM batteries with lithium. But first is the motor + controller. 

Posted

Keep us in the loop bud, I find this interesting, you lead the way and we might follow.

Posted

Im all in, tho piston guy and Ready Kilowatt never did get along that well.

b1baf3901c8ccc9c5d226dbf44b0f073.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hahaha